• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should Pleasurable Activity Be Pursued Unlimited?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it right or wrong for us as humans to pursue pleasure?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It can work if your outlook is very big picture and long term.

Cyber

MBTI Type
Dork
The pursuit of pleasure is one of the main drives besides the survival drive. That can make us become more than we currently are. The pursit of pleasure is what causes us to pursue more meaningful relationships as well as a better status in socity. If we did not pursue such things then the humanity would not be at the stage it is now. But that is not to say that sometimes the pursuit of pleasure can not be over indulged where it becomes more of a vice.

But it depends on what you mean by pleasure. Sexual? or more broad of a definition?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
As much as I love to disagree with him, I'm gonna go with Aristotle on this one and say that we should pursue the good that is good unto itself. Or in other words, happiness. Pleasure is just a temporary means to that end. Whereas true happiness can be found in practicing moderation in all things, and having appreciation for what you have.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, this again...

Hedonism gets you into trouble.

Buy creature comforts, you lose money.

Eat tasty food, you get fat.

Interact with others, you get taken advantage of.

Smoke cigarettes, you get cancer.

Curse out your boss, you get fired.

Go on a killing spree, you get the needle (in most states).

And with that last one, you are likely to make a big mark in history -- everyone remembers the killer, no one remembers the victim.

As for happiness, money is the only stable way of finding happiness, because knowing you have it makes you feel secure.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
As much as I love to disagree with him, I'm gonna go with Aristotle on this one and say that we should pursue the good that is good unto itself. Or in other words, happiness. Pleasure is just a temporary means to that end. Whereas true happiness can be found in practicing moderation in all things, and having appreciation for what you have.

Seconded.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Kind of a nebulous question, because people can derive pleasure in all sorts of different ways and what's pleasure to some isn't pleasure to another--at the very least, relative to my context of right and wrong, the kind of pleasure pursued needs to be described. To want pleasure isn't wrong, but that realization is sometimes no good.

But yeah, Hedonism ftw =)

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
It's not either or. It's a continuum.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is it right or wrong for us as humans to pursue pleasure?

I believe it's okay as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's happiness. So you can't do something pleasurable if it hurts someone else, otherwise you should be free to do it if you wish. Does that make sense?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

As do I. I don't think there is such thing as objective morality.

I personally believe we should be able to pursue our pleasures so long as it harms no others, and society would still function at its optimum level.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
To the OP: You are asking the wrong question. The question I would pose is, 'Is it effective in feeling life most deeply to live a life solely consisting of pleasure-seeking?'

No.. not for me at least. Self-loathing and complacency would begin to eat at my insides. A quest for understanding lasts much longer and allows for life to be lived to a fuller capacity.

sassafrassquatch

To the OP: You are asking the wrong question. The question I would pose is, 'Is it effective in feeling life most deeply to live a life solely consisting of pleasure-seeking?'

No.. not for me at least. Self-loathing and complacency would begin to eat at my insides. A quest for understanding lasts much longer and allows for life to be lived to a fuller capacity.

But if you choose the life or pleasure seeking the original question returns, should you pursue pleasure without limit?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) you should pursue happiness, but I don't think that unlimited ANYTHING can bring you happiness! Unlimited implies that there's no challenge, which implies boredom :D

Never deprive yourself of anything, of course, then you'll be missing out on all of life's experiences, but overindulging in anything is a b!*ch- beleive me... :doh:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I pursue pleasure all the time.. but I know when to stop, because then the pain will be greater.

Two examples:
1. You enjoy interacting with someone, so you try and talk to them every hour of every day. Obviously, it is not going to be a source of pleasure for much longer.. either because the person began to pull away from you or because you just aren't feeling it anymore
2. You enjoy drinking, so you drink drink drink, and then you have a terrible hangover.

So my answer is no.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Unlimited implies that there's no challenge, which implies boredom :D

Not really... it means that without limitations or consequences, should you pursue pleasure? That's how I read it. And I think so, because to me the only reason not to pursue it is because of the consequences. My attitude given current reality is that you should be free to do anything that doesn't hurt others, although you should avoid doing things that harm yourself (in my opinion).
overindulging in anything is a b!*ch- beleive me... :doh:

With dominant Se, I'm sure you learned that lesson the hard way...