User Tag List

First 91011

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Oh ho ho, I smell a Marxist. What's the matter? Richard Dawkins' humanism isn't leftist enough for you?
    Well guessed, could it be my signature was a bit obvious?

Do you have anything to say on the issue?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    NICE

Can someone politely ask Veneti to make a comeback?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

who dat?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Alright, what if I attack the thesis?

Firstly, what is a 'lie'? Before we even TALK about Selflessness, tell me what is the definition of a lie?

I'm sure that relates to the 'truth' in some way, then please explain to me the 'truth'. What is the 'truth' of selflessness?

What is TRUTH?

Isn't TRUTH based on human morals? But hey, guess what, so is SELFLESSNESS.

So to argue whether it is a lie, it's quite contradictory...

Just saying.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Ignore the title of this thread, it was designed to attract attention - nothing more, and nothing less.

The issue stands alone. Ignore the title.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Arthur Schopenhauer; 05-27-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Removed all the cussing.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Alright, what if I attack the thesis?

Firstly, what is a 'lie'? Before we even TALK about Selflessness, tell me what is the definition of a lie?

I'm sure that relates to the 'truth' in some way, then please explain to me the 'truth'. What is the 'truth' of selflessness?

What is TRUTH?

Isn't TRUTH based on human morals? But hey, guess what, so is SELFLESSNESS.

So to argue whether it is a lie, it's quite contradictory...

Just saying.
    Huh?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

Is selfishness a lie?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

You guys make me so hard.

I'm such a slut for boring shit in my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    ALL ACTIONS ARE SELFISH

• All actions are selfish because in order to act, one has to have a driving internal desire to act. e.g.: Imagine you want a cup; you have a desire for you to reach for the cup, so if you reach for it, you will be fulfilling that desire. This thought can be translated into any action.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there are absolutely no exceptions to this rule. -- Also, I was going to write more examples, but time was dragging out and I don't need to explain one idea more than once.
    I think with the same amount of massaging of the definition of "self-motivation" will show that your argument leads to everyone being "self-motivated". This sounds a lot better than being "selfish" but it is exactly the same thing we are talking about.

Let's use the dictionary definitions of self-motivated and selfish.

self-mo·ti·vat·ed
    • adj. motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others: she's a very independent, self-motivated individual.
    The "driving internal desire to act" is the "[motivation] to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others"

In keeping with what you are saying about what you call "selfishness," even if there is pressure from others, the desire to abate the pressure is still self-motivated.

Main Entry: self·ish
    Pronunciation: \ˈsel-fish\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1640
    1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
    2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>
    Note the words "excessively or exclusively" in the first definition, and the words "without regard" or "disregard" for others in the definition.

You can make the argument that at base the motivation is in disregard for others. But this is the same slight-of-hand that shows that everyone is self-motivated.

Customizing definitions to fit our purposes (especially with terms that have positive or negative connotations) can be misleading.

I think people get what you are saying. But you have to realize that you have now changed the word selfish into something other than the standard use of the word.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield