User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 67

  1. #11
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I have human history to back me up.. once upon a time people belived the world was flat, the sun was God and that leeches would cure disease..
    100 years from now people will laugh at our science and much of it will be proved wrong.

    When the theory of evolution holds a 100% consensus and it's proof is 100% irrefutible , Then I will submit..
    I am not holding my breath.

    It's theory dude.. and nothing else.
    It might make sense if it wasn't riddled with so many holes.

    The score remains 0-0
    Firstly, please educate yourself on the dissimilarity of the words "theory" and "hypothesis".

    Did you even watch the video?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    So what portions of "Darwinism" do you find inaccurate? I'm genuinely curious.

    edit:



    So what do you think are the holes in evolution?
    There is the 150000 or so years of no humaniod fossils.
    There is the question of why multi celled organisims are not radically evolving still.. Do you really think we have hit the evolutionary apex?

    and mostly .. simply because I don't trust a species that can't figure itself out to tell me what the secrets of life are.
    I dont want speculation or theory.. I want proof.. Darwinisim has not been proven any more that the existence of God.
    Just because it kind of makes sense and we have nothing better to explain things.. does not make it true.
    Just so you know I dont believe in God either.

    I trust my instincs and intution.. they tell me humanity is about 1 and half years old in terms of reaching it's potential..
    So when A toddler tells you the meaning of life.. you tend to disregard it

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Firstly, please educate yourself on the dissimilarity of the words "theory" and "hypothesis".

    Did you even watch the video?
    So lets see you see. You LOL.. then post a link.. and now you are the grammar police..

    Do you have a point or not??? What exactly is your argument?

    I don't believe in darwinism.. Why do you care?

    If you are so omnisicent, why are you wasting your talents trying to convert me.. go save the world or something.

  4. #14
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    So lets see you see. You LOL.. then post a link.. and now you are the grammar police..
    Nah. I phailed the required tehsts. Never got my badge...

    Do you have a point or not??? What exactly is your argument?
    Yes, I do. Common usage of the word "theory", is more similar to that of "hypothesis"; the latter is what you're doing.

    Look up the pedagogical definition of "scientific theory".

    I don't believe in darwinism.. Why do you care?
    I don't. Thanks for sharing though.

    If you are so omnisicent, why are you wasting your talents trying to convert me.. go save the world or something.
    Hah! You think you know how I should spend my time better than I do?! WTF?! I'M OMNISCIENT!
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  5. #15
    Senior Member Robopop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    690

    Default

    One thing about evolution that many people are ignorant about is the "theory of evolution" and evolution as a scientific fact.

    It IS a fact that life evolves, the theory of evolution does a VERY good job of explaining how life evloves.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    One thing about evolution that many people are ignorant about is the "theory of evolution" and evolution as a scientific fact.

    It IS a fact that life evolves, the theory of evolution does a VERY good job of explaining how life evloves.
    I am not arguing if life evolves or not .. I am saying we as a speices do not know for a fact, what our origin is.

    That is not open to debate. All we have is speculation

  7. #17
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I am not arguing if life evolves or not..
    When the theory of evolution holds a 100% consensus and it's proof is 100% irrefutible , Then I will submit..
    I am not holding my breath.

    It's theory dude.. and nothing else.
    It might make sense if it wasn't riddled with so many holes.


    I am saying we as a speices do not know for a fact, what our origin is.

    That is not open to debate. All we have is speculation
    This actually is an ongoing scientific debate that is very much open to speculation.

    This conversation is dull though.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  8. #18
    Senior Member Robopop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Yes, evolution is not about the origin of life, the would belong to Abiogenesis and there are several different models of how life arose from inanimate matter.

    Many people get the theory of evolution and abiogenesis confused too.

  9. #19
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Yes, evolution is not about the origin of life, the would belong to Abiogenesis and there are several different models of how life arose from inanimate matter.

    Many people get the theory of evolution and abiogenesis confused too.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  10. #20
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post

    So, it is the subconscious fear of death and the belief that we could possibly escape it that makes a person totally change his standards for what he considers reasonable.
    Our irrational minds are programmed to think that they will continue to live. They have no concept of being completely devoid of consciousness, because it is impossible to perceive being dead while being alive. To come fully to terms with death is like the number 1 coming to terms with being 0. It's simply impossible; so it would not be surprising for us as a species to invent all sorts of phantasmal ways for us to transcend mortality - from heaven to hell to reincarnation.

    What's important to me is that we invest in our current lives. I do not think we should be lulled to sleep by an imaginative afterlife; but rather we should promote the well-being of our species. To accept an afterlife can be to accept death itself.

    I think it's interesting how our rational beliefs tend to marry with our irrational drives. Sometimes we just want something to be true, so we seek it out to confirm our own intuition. People are torn apart by the feeling of the unknown, and death is the epitome of the unknown. It's really only natural that people would let their wants carry them away into Heaven. It's also quite natural for our conceptions of heaven to mirror our conceptions of our current lives, with angels playing Celtic harps, with pearly gates and streets of gold.

    When we are reared, we find hope in the expanse of the unknown world; and we indulge in fantasies - just like how early man indulged in superstitious fantasies to fill in the blanks of mystery. Then we grow older, and the world is our domain. We grow larger, and the world shrinks in accordance - just as mankind ushered in more reasonable explanations for the known universe - the New World being the pioneer. Then, as we grow yet older, we realize that we have become tired and haggard, and unable to cope with death, we indulge in the same fantasies that are only instigated by the fear of the unknown - the elderly start to attend church on a regular basis for a failsafe of comfort. Let's not bury our heads in the sand, please.

    EDIT: In other words, I invest in a substitute for the afterlife, which begs for infinite progression, but will fail : Life itself. What a conundrum.

Similar Threads

  1. Type and the Use of Emoticons
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
  2. Death and the Forfeit of Reason
    By Into It in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM
  3. The Enemies of Reason by Richard Dawkins
    By Sahara in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM
  4. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" review...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO