User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do mantras work?

A sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or incantation, such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical potentialities.

Maybe it doesn't have to be spiritual though.. just something you might repeat to yourself. I think many people say all kinds of positive or negative things to themselves. I wonder if there's power in these words..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    A sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or incantation, such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical potentialities.

Maybe it doesn't have to be spiritual though.. just something you might repeat to yourself. I think many people say all kinds of positive or negative things to themselves. I wonder if there's power in these words..
    Any repetition will induce a trance. And a mantra is just a repetition.

To learn more about trance, just click on -

Trance Institute Courses

and

Trance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    ISFJ

It definitely works. The way to influence the subconscious is to consciously and repeatedly hammering something down.

The same way bad parenting can affect kids as they grow up (kids haven't put up as much walls protecting their subconscious as we have, so they are more influenceable), so can advertising, indoctrination, propaganda....

Y'know, I used to kind of scoff at that kind of overly positive self-help book type of thinking, but I've been saying some negative things that are pretty much working on the same principle. They seem to be effective too. I need a new spell now. Something positive

@Victor.. I get what you're saying about trances.. although you would suggest escaping trance entirely, right? I mean, would you say that positive trances are not a good thing either?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

interesting observation on the topic thats possibly incredibly anecdotal and irrelevant...

I was swimming laps in the pool the other day when an older Tibetan man (I've met him elsewhere, which is why I know) came in and sat down in the shallowest portion of the hot tub and proceeded to meditate, repeating the same mantra over and over slowly in a very resonating manner (I could hear it and I was doing backstroke )... somehow the way that it resonated was incredibly relaxing even to the listener.... thinking:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Man, he has it made. Buddhist mantras and a hottub.

Smile

@Victor.. I get what you're saying about trances.. although you would suggest escaping trance entirely, right? I mean, would you say that positive trances are not a good thing either?
    I am saying we enter and leave trances all during the day.

For instance, we start and end our day with a trance, for just before we fall asleep, we enter the hypnogogic trance. And just after waking, we enter the same hypnogogic trance.

And all through the day we enter and leave trances. But mostly they are unconscious. And most do not know how to consciously enter and leave a trance.

And it is important to learn how to enter and leave a trance, for there are all kinds of trances, from addictive trances to trances that leave you relaxed and refreshed to trances that enhance your performance.

So all kinds of trances have different results.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Oooooookay then. I prefer to mumble randomly rather than repeat a certain phrase.

It gets just about the same amount of shit done.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

I don't mean vocalized necessarily. That wouldn't be me either.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I don't mean vocalized necessarily. That wouldn't be me either.
    Maybe you could create a little dance; like a honeybee directing the rest to the nectar, only it will be you directing your life.

I'd pay to watch.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...