User Tag List

View Poll Results: False hope or no hope?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • False hope

3 33.33%
  • No Hope

6 66.67%
  • I don't want to pick.

0 0%
First 7891011 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When it comes to some thing like a love interest I would infinitely prefer to be told to drop dead than have false hope or any kind of ambivalence. I can find dates fairly easily, so I would rather not spend my time pointlessly hoping to get with some one who is taken or decides I am not their type.

For many other situations, though, hope is extremely beneficial and good for you, as @tkae. already mentioned.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    In order to answer the question, I came up with the only two logical definitions I could think of.

Definition 1: It’s what we say ‘the loser’ had after he/she loses a gamble. For example, you hope to win the lottery, you don't, and your neighbor does, so your hope turned out to be false. And life is a gamble, which requires hope on a grander scale. Almost everything we do requires it. Some will survive the ride to work, some won’t, but hope will put people in the driver’s seat. The alternative is hopelessness, depression, and suicide. (In this case, hope is better than hopelessness.)

Definition 2: Believing in something that, with 100% certainty, does not exist. (In this case, there may be benefits for the well-being of someone with a medical condition. I think the ‘placebo effect’ is a good example of putting hope into something that isn't real where benefits are realized.)
    what about goals with scalable benefits?

you didn't corner a market, but you still have a profitable product.
    you didn't win first prize, but you've developed your skill in training towards it.
    your startup didn't get bought for millions, but it's an excellent product for the resume.
    your not getting a life time SO, but the companionship was fun and the sex was awesome.

i

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    what about goals with scalable benefits?

you didn't corner a market, but you still have a profitable product.
    you didn't win first prize, but you've developed your skill in training towards it.
    your startup didn't get bought for millions, but it's an excellent product for the resume.
    your not getting a life time SO, but the companionship was fun and the sex was awesome.

i
    It seems like people usually say this kind of stuff after the fact, and they always sound like they don't quite believe it themselves. Perhaps this would be useful if this was conceived beforehand.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I know it may seem obvious to other people what hope is false or not, but the truth is, you never know if it's false. It will either have happened and become true, or not happened and remain yet-to-be-true. I think with everything considered, it's best to have something to strive for even if it seems unreasonable, than not to have anything.

It all comes down to whether it's best to live a 1000 years and be a miserable bastard, or 20 and be the happiest person in the world.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I know it may seem obvious to other people what hope is false or not, but the truth is, you never know if it's false. It will either have happened and become true, or not happened and remain yet-to-be-true. I think with everything considered, it's best to have something to strive for even if it seems unreasonable, than not to have anything.

Damn you, providing a Te justification for hope! This one actually got through.... curses!

I'll think about this.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Maybe someone's already said this but it depends on what the person wants. If they like false hope, then that's what's better for them. If they rather honesty at all costs, then that's what's better for them.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hope is something that can always have its place.

Having no hope is simply a conscious descision to give up on hope.

False hope does not exist...

If someone has hope because someone else who doesn't have hope gave that person hope without believing it themselves (thus considering it false hope), the hope the receiving person feels is still genuine, therefor false hope does not exist.

I guess this is end thread? :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Beliefs have measurable effects. One cannot say anything definitive about the merits or demerits of "false hope", one can only measure whether the result of having those beliefs is more positive or negative, which varies with circumstances.

I think in general hope is preferable to hopelessness, but if hoping for the best means you fail to take appropriate steps to help yourself or others, then it's not a useful condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Maybe someone's already said this but it depends on what the person wants. If they like false hope, then that's what's better for them. If they rather honesty at all costs, then that's what's better for them.
    I think in some cases, though, hope might help improve motivation, possibly, I don't believe that it is necessarily required in every situation, however.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I think in some cases, though, hope might help improve motivation, possibly, I don't believe that it is necessarily required in every situation, however.

I agree.
    And not only is it not required in every situation, it's not even wanted in every situation.
    It really just depends on the person.