User Tag List

View Poll Results: False hope or no hope?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • False hope

3 33.33%
  • No Hope

6 66.67%
  • I don't want to pick.

0 0%
First 678910 Last

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    My chaplain told me that those who do things cause all the trouble.
    And you listened? To a chaplain? You, the Mole? You must be careful, chaplains have a tendency to infiltrate your thinking and alter your perceptions. I'm concerned about you now. I am concerned that you may be loosing your mole-ness
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I would much prefer a false sense of faith rather than hope.

With faith, it's very much a goal we stretch across the horizons to reach, and even if it's never achieved, there's so many expansions that we can make!

Hope on the other hand is more like wishing for things without steps of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    And you listened? To a chaplain? You, the Mole? You must be careful, chaplains have a tendency to infiltrate your thinking and alter your perceptions. I'm concerned about you now. I am concerned that you may be loosing your mole-ness
    Oh my God, I'll have to talk to my therapist about this. I had no idea chaplains have a tendency to infiltrate our thinking and alter our perceptions. And yes, I am concerned about me too. I can feel something slipping away, something precious, something like my identity, and I can barely bring myself to say this, but my very self.

You, dear Ene, have diagnosed my problem perfectly. I have an identity crisis, indeed an existential crisis, brought on by listening too much, far too much, to my chaplain. I blame myself.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Oh my God, I'll have to talk to my therapist about this. I had no idea chaplains have a tendency to infiltrate our thinking and alter our perceptions. And yes, I am concerned about me too. I can feel something slipping away, something precious, something like my identity, and I can barely bring myself to say this, but my very self.

You, dear Ene, have diagnosed my problem perfectly. I have an identity crisis, indeed an existential crisis, brought on by listening too much, far too much, to my chaplain. I blame myself.
    It's okay. You have recognized it and therefore are on the road back to being your Mole-self again, or maybe I should say back in the boat? No need to blame oneself. Those chaplains are full of tricks and even the best of moles and other furry folk can be tricked from time to time.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    GOO
    Enneagram

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say no. You should see things objectively, if the outcome is looking dismal, find an alternative with more promising results. Settling for false hope is congruent with giving up.
    "The unconscious mind should be called the super-conconsious mind."

A window to the soul

In order to answer the question, I came up with the only two logical definitions I could think of.

Definition 1: It’s what we say ‘the loser’ had after he/she loses a gamble. For example, you hope to win the lottery, you don't, and your neighbor does, so your hope turned out to be false. And life is a gamble, which requires hope on a grander scale. Almost everything we do requires it. Some will survive the ride to work, some won’t, but hope will put people in the driver’s seat. The alternative is hopelessness, depression, and suicide. (In this case, hope is better than hopelessness.)

Definition 2: Believing in something that, with 100% certainty, does not exist. (In this case, there may be benefits for the well-being of someone with a medical condition. I think the ‘placebo effect’ is a good example of putting hope into something that isn't real where benefits are realized.)

The definition of Placebo Effect
    The beneficial effect in a patient following a particular treatment that arises from the patient's expectations concerning the treatment rather than from the treatment itself.

I am of the opinion that giving someone false hope is a cruel thing to do to him/her.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Depends on the situation
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Depends on the situation and the extremity thereof.

9/10 times it's not worse. It's a proven fact that if you're in an accident that strands you in the wilderness, keeping a good attitude and having faith in being rescued will increase your chances of survival. But if you have so much hope that you sit there waiting to be rescued instead of getting shelter together and collecting food, or have false hope that you can swim/walk back to civilization, then it's gone a bit far.

As far as terminal illnesses go, it's a bit of a different story. For some people it's better, because they die believing they'll live, so they keep the delusion to the end. If you're being treated, it's always better. But if you have false hope that you don't need treatment, then that's another thing entirely. That's setting yourself up to die. And people who have false hopes about illnesses run the risk of crashing hard when they can't avoid the reality of the situation.

As far as existence goes, I think it's better to have hope than to be a nihilist. Hope is satisfying and comfortable, and since our time is limited, why not be comfortable? It's like a Snuggie. Sure, you don't need one, but it doesn't hurt anything.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When it comes to some thing like a love interest I would infinitely prefer to be told to drop dead than have false hope or any kind of ambivalence. I can find dates fairly easily, so I would rather not spend my time pointlessly hoping to get with some one who is taken or decides I am not their type.

For many other situations, though, hope is extremely beneficial and good for you, as @tkae. already mentioned.