User Tag List

View Poll Results: False hope or no hope?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • False hope

3 33.33%
  • No Hope

6 66.67%
  • I don't want to pick.

0 0%
First 891011 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

It's interesting how people see hope differently.

False hope to me is when someone is intentionally lying to you making promises that they can't keep or knowingly letting someone believe in something that's false. Sometimes people simply fail to consider whether they can keep a promise or not, which I also find irresponsible.

Yes, some people do prefer this over no hope at all. They even deliberately gravitate towards those who they know are irresponsible with promises because false hope is guaranteed. But others would rather brutal honesty so they can move forward or in a different (more fruitful) direction.

I miss Whatever, she was/is one of my favourite forumers.

I didnt even fight with her that much.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    It's interesting how people see hope differently.

False hope to me is when someone is intentionally lying to you making promises that they can't keep or knowingly letting someone believe in something that's false. Sometimes people simply fail to consider whether they can keep a promise or not, which I also find irresponsible.

Yes, some people do prefer this over no hope at all. They even deliberately gravitate towards those who they know are irresponsible with promises because false hope is guaranteed. But others would rather brutal honesty so they can move forward or in a different (more fruitful) direction.
    You mean like the cliche of a father running out on his child whilest saying he is just going out to buy some ice cream?

The thing is though, even if that father hadnt said anything, the child will still hope for his return. Plus even if the father has no intention of ever coming back, he might still in the future.

So even though as you say the father may have given the child false hope. The hope that child may have to see his or her father again, is still very real.

Or the cliffhanger. The person that hangs on by a thread, saying he will make it and everything will be fine. Even though he knows he is not. The hope he gives others that he might make it is still real, at least until the moment he indeed does not make it. Still, the hope felt is not false hope.

And going to the extreme, even saying to a child that they will see their parents again, even though the parents have been lost in some accident and are no longer alive, that child's hope to see the parents again is still very real, and even after learning of their deaths may still continue to exist, depending on what the child chooses to believe in.

So to me, any hope felt is never false. You either have it or you don't, but you never have false hope.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Ginkgo

I'd say they're equally bad. Whether you're disillusioned or misguided, you're likely to be too caught up in it to value any potential perks you might pass by along the way.

I'm a fan of open-mindedness and feasible hope.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    You mean like the cliche of a father running out on his child whilest saying he is just going out to buy some ice cream?

The thing is though, even if that father hadnt said anything, the child will still hope for his return. Plus even if the father has no intention of ever coming back, he might still in the future.

So even though as you say the father may have given the child false hope. The hope that child may have to see his or her father again, is still very real.

Or the cliffhanger. The person that hangs on by a thread, saying he will make it and everything will be fine. Even though he knows he is not. The hope he gives others that he might make it is still real, at least until the moment he indeed does not make it. Still, the hope felt is not false hope.

And going to the extreme, even saying to a child that they will see their parents again, even though the parents have been lost in some accident and are no longer alive, that child's hope to see the parents again is still very real, and even after learning of their deaths may still continue to exist, depending on what the child chooses to believe in.

So to me, any hope felt is never false. You either have it or you don't, but you never have false hope.
    Well children are different because they have no choice.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post

Brutal honesty can allow me to learn something. It's impossible to learn from false hope; indeed, it can insure repetition of the same mistakes.

The grey area here is situations in which hope is not necessarily false, and may in fact be the most rational and productive course of action. A risk is not valuable in and of itself, but risk may be necessary in some situations to prevent stagnation. Hope is useful for navigating risk, perhaps. I haven't used it much myself, but it might be something worth considering.

I do believe that optimism is a neutral trait, and is not something I can ever see myself valuing for it's own sake. If you never think of what can go wrong, this can lead to carelessness, and errors and injustices that could have easily been avoided.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Not for me it isn't. I like knowing the truth, even if the consequences are painful.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Reminded of the Disney classic, Dumbo.

Default False hope or no hope?

False hope or no hope?

An obvious false dichotomy...but, if you had to chose between the two, which would you prefer and why?

It seems that @whatever posted this thread already:
    is false hope better than no hope?

Can we add my poll to it?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I say it depends on what you want to accomplish.