• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hate/forgiveness/universal love?

sculpting

To piggy back off of AA's thread, can I get some help understanding what you mean when you say the below terms? What do these terms feel like for you internally?

Hate-what does it feel like? How long do you maintain it? Why? It is anger fueled or does it just mean establishing a distance?

Forgiveness-When and how do you forgive? What does it mean to forgive? What do you do if you do not forgive another? What do you do with that remaining negative emotion internally?

Love towards mankind in general-What does this feel like?

Love towards close ones-What does this feel like and how does it differ from the above?

(I dont think my words mean the same thing-thus my confusion...)

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2

Hate-what does it feel like? How long do you maintain it? Why? It is anger fueled or does it just mean establishing a distance?

hate is a really strong word, I think that hate is only "real" when its the only emotion you feel. It will take over everything about you, and change you.

Forgiveness-When and how do you forgive? What does it mean to forgive? What do you do if you do not forgive another? What do you do with that remaining negative emotion internally?

I always forgive, no since in staying angry when it really and truly does not matter.

I love my fellow humans, we have so much potential. I would die for a stranger in a heart beat.

Love towards close ones-What does this feel like and how does it differ from the above?

I love the ones I am close to because I know who they are and I know what they have done in thier lives. I love "who: they are as opposed to who they can be I guess.

sculpting

Types of love:
Eros – a passionate physical and emotional love based on aesthetic enjoyment; stereotype of romantic love
Ludus – a love that is played as a game or sport; conquest
Storge – an affectionate love that slowly develops from friendship, based on similarity
Pragma – love that is driven by the head, not the heart; undemonstrative
Mania – highly volatile love; obsession; fueled by low self-esteem
Agape – selfless altruistic love; spiritual; motherly love

Good lord, no wonder I am confused... :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Types of love:
Eros – a passionate physical and emotional love based on aesthetic enjoyment; stereotype of romantic love
Ludus – a love that is played as a game or sport; conquest
Storge – an affectionate love that slowly develops from friendship, based on similarity
Pragma – love that is driven by the head, not the heart; undemonstrative
Mania – highly volatile love; obsession; fueled by low self-esteem
Agape – selfless altruistic love; spiritual; motherly love

Good lord, no wonder I am confused... :)

OOOh, I love these. Can you find more? This must be derived from the Greeks who had a lot of words for love.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To piggy back off of AA's thread, can I get some help understanding what you mean when you say the below terms? What do these terms feel like for you internally?

Hate is a clenching of the heart. It is also possible for "love" to involve a clenching of the heart, so in one view, it can seem like love and hate are the same, merely positively or negatively directed.

However, both are based upon desire, by which I do not mean libido, but in particular that one wants something. When the wanting is strong, and directed toward a particular person, it can seem like love if you want the person to be present in your life in whatever regard, and it will be hatred if you want the person out of your life or wish ill upon the other.

In the end, it's merely a reflection of what reality is and what you want from reality.

These are normal feelings that often feel very deep, but they lack spiritual depth.

Forgiveness is the unclenching of the heart.

It is, however, an attitude, not a feeling. It is the choice to unclench your own heart. It unclenches both the hatred and the loving style I mention above. In the former, it is more like classical forgiveness, though I would imagine a lot of people "forgive" in the not-so-open way, feeling like they have a responsibility to forgive, but don't actually let go of feeling the hurt in one's heart. What I'm talking about is just completely letting go of the hurt, all of it, so that it simply doesn't hurt any more. The difficult part is that the hurt feels like it comes from the wrongdoer, but the hurt one feels is always within oneself, and is under one's own emotional control.

Where does the remaining negative emotion go? It is identified and remembered, but not relived. It becomes part of oneself, but not in a hateful, resentful way.

The unclenching of the heart also applies to the "love" I described in the reply to the first question. In this sense, it is not forgiveness, but acceptance. What happens is that we tend to have a picture of what the one we love should be like, a set of expectations. Those expectations are hurts waiting to happen. The object of your love can do something perfectly reasonable and innocent, yet hurt you because your expectations impose a violation. It becomes something of an art to determine whether a hurt is truly another's wrongdoing (they did something wrong that most people would objectively recognize as being hurtful), or is really just one's own unreasonable expectations. Either way, dropping the expectations, letting go of the feeling that things have to be a particular way, is what unclenches the heart and allows real love to flourish.

Pretentious posturing, for the most part. I distrust most claims of love for mankind, as it feels as if one is trying to make oneself bigger by claiming to have such a love. If one has a loving attitude, then one loves people, not "mankind" in the abstract.

Love towards close ones ... this is where I feel most complete. With most people, my natural expression of love is stifled. It is too "forward", too invasive. In order to express the love I feel, there must also be a connection that conveys the love. To have my love expressed, and to have its expression fully, completely positively received ... I'm afraid that words cannot describe it.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
How about hebrew words for love?

There are 11 Hebrew words that have been rendered "love" in the RSV, a number of which are related (i.e., belong to a common word set), some are very common, and some are rather rare.

For instance, רעיה (ra‘yāh) occurs only in the Song of Songs with reference to a "female companion, girlfriend, beloved" (HALOT).

Less rare but rendered similarly in some verses in the Song of Songs is דוד (dōd) beloved, lover; in other verses in the Song of Songs, as well as in a couple of verses in Ezekiel and in one verse in Proverbs, the word means "love (lust)" (HALOT).

One of the most rare words rendered love in the Hebrew Bible is חבב (khōbēb), which occurs only in Deuteronomy 33:3. wherein the text speaks of God loving the people (HALOT).

Also rare (occurring only in Jeremiah and in Ezekiel) is the verb עגב (plural participle = ‘ōgebīm) : to desire sensuously (HALOT). A cognate of עגב (occurring only in Ezekiel) is עגבה (‘agābāh) : passion (HALOT).

Another rare word is ידיד (yādīd) —1. beloved; —2. adjective lovely; a related word is the hapax legomenon ידידות (yedīdōt) = love (song) Psalm 45:1. (HALOT), rendered "wedding" (song) in some versions.

The Qal inflection of the verb רחם occurs once in the Hebrew Bible meaning to love (object YHWH) Psalm 18:2[1 in English versions] (HALOT). There are quite a number of occurrences of the same verb in the Piel inflection meaning to greet (meet) someone with love, take pity on someone (HALOT). There are five occurrences in Hosea and one in Proverbs in which the Pual inflection of the verb means to find mercy (HALOT).

The usual word set for "love" in the Hebrew Bible is the verb אהב (’āhēb) in its various inflections (Qal, Piel, Niphal, Pealal, and Hiphil) and its cognate nouns ’ahab, ’ōhab, and ’ahebāh (אהבה). The semantic range of אהב includes "to like" as well as "to love" (HALOT).

Then there is the most variously rendered word in the Hebrew Bible (there are nearly as many different renderings as there are English versions): חסד (khesed). Here is the semantic range of the word as presented in HALOT:
—1. joint obligation between relatives, friends, host and guest, master and servant; closeness, solidarity, loyalty; [...] lasting loyalty, faithfulness [...] protection favour of the king [...]
—2. חסד in God's relationship with the people or an individual faithfulness, goodness, graciousness
—3. plural [...] the individual actions resulting from solidarity: a) (of people) godly action, achievements [...] proofs of mercy

Note that the word "love" does not appear in the semantic range presented by HALOT; however, the words "love", "loving", and "loving-kindness" are quite prominent in English renderings of חסד (khesed):
All the ways of the LORD are loving [חסד (khesed)] and faithful" Psalm 25:10. (NIV).
Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love [חסד (khesed)] Psalm 107:8. (NIV).
The refrain throughout Psalm 136,. His love [חסד (khesed)] endures forever (NIV).

This post is becoming too long, so I'll let the above suffice for now — except to say that חסד (khesed) is the epitome of "commitment-love", to use your term. Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Source: Hebrew words for love? - TheologyWeb Campus

HALOT = Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
RSV = Revised Standard Version of the Bible

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
The object of your love can do something perfectly reasonable and innocent, yet hurt you because your expectations impose a violation. It becomes something of an art to determine whether a hurt is truly another's wrongdoing (they did something wrong that most people would objectively recognize as being hurtful), or is really just one's own unreasonable expectations. Either way, dropping the expectations, letting go of the feeling that things have to be a particular way, is what unclenches the heart and allows real love to flourish.

How lovely.
However, i guess i would say there are certain kinds of things that are completely and irrevocably unforgivable. Take, for instance, some dude making a young woman's very private life into something very public. As in, telling almost everybody he ever knew the tiniest details of the affair they had last night, which of course then ends up with almost everyone referring to her in the most derogatory terms anyone could utter. I'm sure you know what I mean.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How lovely.
However, i guess i would say there are certain kinds of things that are completely and irrevocably unforgivable. Take, for instance, some dude making a young woman's very private life into something very public. As in, telling almost everybody he ever knew the tiniest details of the affair they had last night, which of course then ends up with almost everyone referring to her in the most derogatory terms anyone could utter. I'm sure you know what I mean.

You are intertwining different senses of forgiveness. In the case you specify, "forgiveness" would be nearly identical to the concept of forgiving a debt, which is all about societal arrangements and expectations. That kind of forgiveness is only tangentially related to how/why one might forgive others with one's heart.

In the societal context, the fellow should be branded a cad and suffer the consequences thereof. What one feels about him in one's own heart is one's own business. To never forgive someone is a burden that one carries within oneself; it is not a burden to the one who is unforgiven. To forgive is to relieve oneself of that burden.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP

Hate is the feeling we get when our pride has been damaged by something. Pride is when we believe we are better than we really are, and when the expectations that come with that belief are not met, our ego is pained and instead of being humbled we project it onto whatever damage our pride. After that we distance ourselves so that we can continue without dealing with the shame of our misjudgement.

The role of forgiver and forgivee in this sense is always reversed, as the hateful party believes they were wronged when in fact they were wrong. True forgiveness requires a change on the part of the forgivee, to realize their mistake. Only then can the forgivee approach in humility (as it implies acknowledgement of being wrong) and ask for forgiveness. True forgiveness requires a sincere change of heart and absolves all shame of wrongdoing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:4-13)

We love those who are closest to us the most because of intimacy. Intimacy without love (patient, kind, forgiving, not envy, not boast, not proud, not rude, not self-seeking) is very uncomfortable and with those who are most intimate with us, painful. True love acts in a way that fully considers the trust that must be placed upon it, and with intimacy more trust is required.