User Tag List

View Poll Results: Love is a universal truth?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ST---yes

1 4.00%
  • ST---no

1 4.00%
  • SF---yes

2 8.00%
  • SF---no

0 0%
  • NT---yes

3 12.00%
  • NT---no

10 40.00%
  • NF---yes

2 8.00%
  • NF---no

6 24.00%
First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I'm asking the questions here, Peace.
    You respond to the questions already raised, then I'll answer yours, with pleasure........
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    And, it may be your thread, but I am looking for the strands that compose it. I can pick away at it in my way, regardless of whether you wish to answer.
    No, it is not aphrodite's thread.
    This is not a personal blog.

There is no such thing as thread ownership in the forums. I verified it with a moderator last week.
    Once a post is made in the forum, it becomes a public thread.

Posting comments such as, "I'm asking the questions here," is ridiculous.
    Anyone can ask a question in this thread. No permission is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry
    Feel free to carry on.
    No one needs anybody's permission to "carry on."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'd like to add a poll, if there is a moderator in the house:

Love is a universal truth:

ST---yes
    ST---no
    SF---yes
    SF---no
    NT---yes
    NT---no
    NF---yes
    NF---no
    In progress...

So you think it's a human phenomenon, for the most part. Nothing that exists outside of us.
    No, I think all mammals can experience love to varying degrees, but if you ever expect a rattlesnake to give you a hug on your birthday, then you will be disappointed...

But we can express our feeling without love, and probably be more accurate accordingly.
    In some situation, yes, in others, no fucking way.

Love muddies things at worst; and can make us illogical when it involves a loved one. Surely you mean love is loftier than just for mere communication.
    This kind of goes to T/F differences, as in the inaccuracies associated with "Feeling as being without Thinking." When you hear music, do you hear just the bass, and just the treble of a song, or do you hear the bass, mid-range, and treble frequencies all at once, and allow them all together to define what you are hearing?

I agree totally. Why siblings I wonder. I feel that too, to a degree, although it's somewhere between kids and mate.
    100% agree with you.

It's sort of like pondering the size of the universe, isn't it? I remember arguing with heart and brain (i think) about unconditional love on some thread a long time ago, and being emphatic about loving unconditionally. Well, hello, here I am saying I think I bought into that notion because it was easy for me to do so being an NF. I don't think it's true though, beyond kids that is; and I'd hesitate to make any assumptions there, except that while you are caring for someone, the unconditional feeling seems to be fairly strong. If they move away and out of your life over a long period of time, I'm not sure what that would feel like in a love context. I'm not even sure about parents, as horrible as that makes me sound. But there might be a reason for that biologically, because we bring our children into the world and rear them, take care of them. It's intricately intertwined.
    My brother's ex-wife was a reckless and irresponsible parent, and it took 16 years for my niece to figure out without a reasonable doubt that her Mom was a very bad mother. That is the peril of our inborn "love instincts" going against the particularly bad generalized implementation of love (or maybe just the actions of an entirely selfish person) of a given individual and their relations with their offspring.

I mean the fluffy and the bad sides. The warm fuzzies and the cold hard side.
    Will work on this...

Very well said. To play devil's advocate here, why does it matter?
    Because what I have experienced predisposes it to matter to me, I am not saying my views are right for all...

You are assuming that love is good. Why?
    Again, because what I have felt of it has been positive and reassuring, and I equivocate both of those phenomena as "good."

Can't we be good parents, good friends, good citizens without tying it all up around love?
    Yes. Thomas Jefferson was big on this, much like Aesop, ethical parables without the guilt of religion, without "good and evil." But, allow me to play devil's advocate, why would definitions of friendship and citizenship be better if love were completely factored out of them? Why is that better?

I agree about nurture, and that nurture feels like love, and that it is important to be nurtured in the formative years, as humans need to be nurtured for full development. But why do we call that love?
    I don't know. It surely is not hate, or anger, or greed, so maybe love is the closest definition without needlessly splitting pubic hairs with electron microscopes over minutiae?

I'm not sure exactly all the nuances floating around in my head right now, so I'm sorry if I am vague or abstract. Should we focus on other virtues instead of love all the time? Like honesty, integrity, generosity? I think we focus too much on love. What are your thoughts here?
    Again, if you bake a cake, and it tastes good, which parts of it made it taste good, the eggs, the flour, the butter, the sugar, or all of it mixzed up together and baked at once? Maybe all virtues are intertwined, like the unified ingredients of a baked cake, or a finished musical composition?

This is exactly the kind of propaganda spewed in self-help books and religions, including new age ones, etc. I can love someone who doesn't love him/her self. I've done it before, I'm sure I'll do it again.
    I wouldn't know, I don't read any of that shit. All I can tell you is this, one's EXPECTATIONS of the OUTCOME of LOVING will be completely incongruent with ONE'S HISTORICAL EXPERIENCE of receiving the same kind of LOVE if you try to give it to someone WHO HAS A SIGNIFICANTLY DISSIMILAR definition of love than yours.

So, yeah, you've done it, and I have too, and how did it turn out for you? Good? Bad? Surely different than you expected. To me, that sort of thing is a waste of time. I value my time, and therefore I value my efforts at implementing love with the time I have to live, out of respect for myself, and respect for those who I love.

Why is it so paramount to experience an emotion like love? Can't good people exist without being so driven? Can't I exchange the word "self respect" in the above statements and have it be true? I can have self respect for myself and others, but does love really need to have anything to do with it?
    You say POTAE-TOE, I say POTAH-TOE, does it matter?

I know you are not talking about romantic love, but it does fall under the Love umbrella. There are some cultures that have arranged marriages, and who eschew the idea of romantic love and still live very zen and happy lives. How about those kinds of people. How are they functioning without tying everything back into love?
    It is proven that many participants of arranged marriages DEVELOP ROMANTIC LOVE later in their livevs. The experience is totally different than Western "free-spirited" romances, but it is not without similarity of implementation of love by humans.

I think we are obsessed with love and that it does us a disservice, that it has become a liability instead of an asset for many people.
    If that works for you, that's great. I am not so cynical. I think IGNORANCE and APATHY are far more dangerous than LOVE.

The first paragraph represents a very polyamorous mindset, and I'd tend to agree with you.

I'd disagree with the second paragraph though. I think the point of love is as Magic said; to entice us to nurture our children and pair bond.
    Again, different people, different definitions... It's all good.

I think love can be as much an antithesis to being happy as hate.
    Being HAPPY has nothing to do with LOVE. Happiness is a mind set. I have been happy all my life, wheterh I was in love with another person or not. I love my life, and being alive, and that makes me happy, regardless of anything else to do with love. Just sayin...

It's not that we are doing it wrong, necessarily, it's that we are consumed with this emotion that drives us constantly. I wonder if I couldn't support positive, healthy, and happy experiences in my life and those lives of others much better without the concept of love.
    Only your time and efforts in that direction can answer that question. And, the results of your experience will only be valued by those who have a similar life outlook, or at least open to reading the outlooks of others...

I agree with all this. Everyone and living thing deserves to fulfill its destiny on earth as long as that doesn't hurt anyone else. We should be kind and respectful to others, and do them no harm.
    Yup, good stuff!

Could we exist and exist well without the concept of love?
    I don't know, but I'm fine with love and all other virtues existing as they do in my life, in my world, as I am content and at peace with the universe as I understand it. Could we exist without greed? Could we exist without malice? Could we exist without lust? Yes. But the experience would be totally different.

Cheers to you A.G.A.!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    No, it is not aphrodite's thread.
    This is not a personal blog.

There is no such thing as thread ownership in the forums. I verified it with a moderator last week.
    Once a post is made in the forum, it becomes a public thread.

Posting comments such as, "I'm asking the questions here," is ridiculous.
    Anyone can ask a question in this thread. No permission is necessary.

No one needs anybody's permission to "carry on."
    Why are you always so threatening?

Peace and I understand each other (i think). She has oftentimes refused to answer my questions while asking me questions instead. I have indulged her. It is time she indulged me. That was what I was referring to there, predominantly.

Hey, the more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ Well I haven't refused to answer your questions, but sometimes I do ask more without answering what's on the table.

Honestly, I had to take a second to consider what you were trying to say to me by not answering.

But, I didn't and don't take offense. I wanted to figure out what you were getting at.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Why are you always so threatening?
    Silly. Lol.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

^Hey!!!

None of you bitches are reflecting on my recent commentary.

Hop to it!

You're not getting paid the big bucks to quibble over silly shit.
    :rolli:

SRSLY guys, SRSLY!!!!!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    None of you bitches are reflecting on my recent commentary.
    I don't have a vagina.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Umm, Halla, that appeal doesn't really motivate me ... I am more of a "flowers and chocolate" kind of girl.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't have a vagina.
    According to the inmates of Cell Block Four, you do:

They've only been together for a few days, and already in counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Umm, Halla, that appeal doesn't really motivate me ... I am more of a "flowers and chocolate" kind of girl.
    OK, noted, Peacebaby = NO HUMOR but likes FLOWERS and CHOCOLATE.

--------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i don't think i would want love to be a universal truth, i like that it is real subjective and personal.
    but as a force to live your life by, as an ideal to guide you- i think it is a good one, for me.

i think i didn't always used to live by love, or maybe i did but i didn't know it yet. but i think it is probably what i was always looking for when i was younger, not somebody to love i mean, but the love inside myself.

but i do think love is one of those things that disappears or falls apart when you look directly at it, like a mirage. so you kind of have to live with it naturally and let it just do it's thing- trying to understand love seems like it kills it for me.
    whereas something like integrity feels like it intensifies and becomes clearer when i focus on it.