User Tag List

View Poll Results: Love is a universal truth?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ST---yes

1 4.00%
  • ST---no

1 4.00%
  • SF---yes

2 8.00%
  • SF---no

0 0%
  • NT---yes

3 12.00%
  • NT---no

10 40.00%
  • NF---yes

2 8.00%
  • NF---no

6 24.00%
First 12345 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Okay. I agree.

But you said the chemicals that make up our experience of love are universal, and that even plants had them; yet if only higher level mammals have the ability to feel love, it is not, therefore a universal, truth. Is it?
    Most animals (and some plants and fungi, with serotonin) only have bits and pieces of the chemical activities that make up love for humans. So it doesn't really apply, but is relateable.

But the love neurotransmitters would be universal for humans, which is usually the standard we use for judging universality; as it relates to people.

MBTI
    ISTP

Why?
    7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son[b] into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for[c] our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
    God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother. (1 John 4:7-19)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I guess I am first wondering if you believe there is a universal truth, an absolute truth?

And what I hear you saying is that you have demoted love in this definition?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Most animals (and some plants and fungi, with serotonin) only have bits and pieces of the chemical activities that make up love for humans. So it doesn't really apply, but is relateable.

But the love neurotransmitters would be universal for humans, which is usually the standard we use for judging universality; as it relates to people.
    K. Well, I'm talking about universal in a larger sense. You're speaking to a universal value, as Orobas pointed out. If it is a universal value, but not a universal truth, how important is it and how much stock or centristic thinking should we put in it>

Bible guy, I'll get back to you later........
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I guess I am first wondering if you believe there is a universal truth, an absolute truth?

And what I hear you saying is that you have demoted love in this definition?
    I'm asking the questions here, Peace.

You respond to the questions already raised, then I'll answer yours, with pleasure........
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

So you don't think humans can feel love independent of a concept of God?
    Yes.

Let's assume there is a God, and people do feel love, is that a universal truth, able to be applied to the workings of the universe and all things everywhere? Or not?
    Yes, I think that's what a universal truth is. It's bigger than earth, a species and a galaxy etc. It applies to anything within what we know as the universe.

People throw out the term "universal love" a lot, and I have as well. What exactly is that? Can you describe/define that? Does it exist on other planets that have life? Other solar systems? In space?
    I think ppl use this term loosely to define love for all humanity etc, not necessarily an universal truth (as defined above).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I am only asking because if you don't believe in universal truth, then the question "Is love a universal truth" becomes irrelevant ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I am only asking because if you don't believe in universal truth, then the question "Is love a universal truth" becomes irrelevant ...
    If YOU don't believe in universal truth, then, yes, the question, for you, would become irrelevant. Are you saying you don't believe Universal truths exist? How about the concepts of space and time? How about the concept of gravitational pull? How about any other physical or mathematical truth? If you do believe in certain truths that exist beyond our world, beyond us, is love one of them?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

K. Well, I'm talking about universal in a larger sense. You're speaking to a universal value, as Orobas pointed out. If it is a universal value, but not a universal truth, how important is it and how much stock or centristic thinking should we put in it>

Bible guy, I'll get back to you later........
    It exists for a reason and seems to give people and society an evolutionary edge. So you should put some stock in it.

And put the rest in science.

I'm asking the questions here, Peace.

You respond to the questions already raised, then I'll answer yours, with pleasure........
    For your sake, you better be joking.