User Tag List

View Poll Results: Love is a universal truth?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ST---yes

1 4.00%
  • ST---no

1 4.00%
  • SF---yes

2 8.00%
  • SF---no

0 0%
  • NT---yes

3 12.00%
  • NT---no

10 40.00%
  • NF---yes

2 8.00%
  • NF---no

6 24.00%
First 1234 Last

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Parhaps a more apt question-is love a universal value?
    Good point. Let's add that to the OP.

But what I'm getting at is that do most also consider love to be paramount as a universal truth? Does it exist in the way gravity exists, for example? Also, is it inherent in order to be alive, that we feel love? Or is it something else entirely?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Good point. Let's add that to the OP.

But what I'm getting at is that do most also consider love to be paramount as a universal truth? Does it exist in the way gravity exists, for example? Also, is it inherent in order to be alive, that we feel love? Or is it something else entirely?
    Love is something that human beings experience mentally, emotionally and physically but you could say that w/o there being someone to experience it, it would cease to exist. If you were to believe in an all powerful omniscient, omnipresent etc God who is THE universal truth, than perhaps you could then say that God is love and therefor love is also paramount and universal

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, it is. Relative to everything for humans.

But they aren't universal in animals like they are in us. Unless you are saying all animals feel love.
    Many animals have the same love-chemicals humans have firing off in their brain. Serotonin is even found in plants.

But I think the difference is humans have the conscious awareness of it. And on a cognitive level it's more complex.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Many animals have the same love-chemicals humans have firing off in their brain. Serotonin is even found in plants.

But I think the difference is humans have the conscious awareness of it. And on a cognitive level it's more complex.
    Lol. So you think moles feel love, but just aren't conscious of it?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by luminous beam View Post
    Love is something that human beings experience mentally, emotionally and physically but you could say that w/o there being someone to experience it, it would cease to exist.
    I agree.

If you were to believe in an all powerful omniscient, omnipresent etc God who is THE universal truth, than perhaps you could then say that God is love and therefor love is also paramount and universal

But what if I don't believe in an omnipotent, omnicient, omnibenevolent God? Does love still exist if people exist? Where does it come from then? Only God? Or somewhere else?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Lol. So you think moles feel love, but just aren't conscious of it?
    More so chimps and higher level mammals.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

But what if I don't believe in an omnipotent, omnicient, omnibenevolent God? Does love still exist if people exist? Where does it come from then? Only God? Or somewhere else?
    Well, you could break up what I said into two parts. Love defined w/o a God = a mere human experience. A sort of "if a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?" type Q. The point you are trying to reach is whether or not LOVE is an independent variable not needing humans (or animals lol) to exist. My answer to that is...who the fuck knows lol.

The other part of my earlier response was that of a more religious/spiritual definition of love. But usually that kind of stuff cannot be proved. However, I think it might be a big influence to a big majority of ppl who believe in a universal love. I think that's the only way one could really attempt at defining the possibility of LOVE standing on it's own and existing w/o the need for humans. Like seeing it as some sort of independent entity.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    More so chimps and higher level mammals.
    Okay. I agree.

But you said the chemicals that make up our experience of love are universal, and that even plants had them; yet if only higher level mammals have the ability to feel love, it is not, therefore a universal, truth. Is it?

Well, you could break up what I said into two parts. Love defined w/o a God = a mere human experience. A sort of "if a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?" type Q. The point you are trying to reach is whether or not LOVE is an independent variable not needing humans (or animals lol) to exist. My answer to that is...who the fuck knows lol.
    So you don't think humans can feel love independent of a concept of God? Let's assume there is a God, and people do feel love, is that a universal truth, able to be applied to the workings of the universe and all things everywhere? Or not?

The other part of my earlier response was that of a more religious/spiritual definition of love. But usually that kind of stuff cannot be proved. However, I think it might be a big influence to a big majority of ppl who believe in a universal love. I think that's the only way one could really attempt at defining the possibility of LOVE standing on it's own and existing w/o the need for humans. Like seeing it as some sort of independent entity.
    People throw out the term "universal love" a lot, and I have as well. What exactly is that? Can you describe/define that? Does it exist on other planets that have life? Other solar systems? In space?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Love is something that human beings experience mentally, emotionally and physically but you could say that w/o there being someone to experience it, it would cease to exist. If you were to believe in an all powerful omniscient, omnipresent etc God who is THE universal truth, than perhaps you could then say that God is love and therefor love is also paramount and universal
    I like this.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think people attribute Godlike powers to love, and perceive it as a universal truth, when it in fact, isn't.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com