User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's your heaven like?

if you could create your own how would it be?
    If I could create my own heaven ... uhm ... I think 'living' is the greatest gift of all and nothing can top actually living. I don't want a heaven, I want reincarnation by choice. Your spirit flies up there somewhere and you are asked if you want another life, and if you do, your spirit goes to another fetus. If you don't, then you are nothing. Your body becomes food for trees and animals. Your spirit is uhm ... would anyone want to be floating about not doing anything? I guess if you want ... I personally don't find anything appealing about floating about, even with close friends or what not, what can you talk about? You don't live, you don't feel, there is no future, you are just uhm floating around. I don't understand the point/pleasure of that.

and...what about hell? what's hell to you?
    Hell's a cruel, idiotic concept. Why would anyone want to let anyone suffer for an eternity? Even if it's Hitler. That would make the creators of hell no different than Hitler. I wouldn't create a hell for anyone. Not even if you were one of those people in Rwanda machete-ing people to death. You don't deserve to live in freedom (not sure how I feel about the death penalty), you don't deserve the life that humanity have built, but causing pain forever is a bit much and completely hypocritical. *shakes head* If you need to convince people to do the right thing because of fears of 'hell', then you are missing the whole point of being good and doing good.

I don't know.. if not hell, then I don't want some people to be anything/anywhere after they're gone... They certainly don't deserve a second "chance" at least. Some behavior is not worthy of a good or even mediocre afterlife. I could show you videos of gunned down kids in burma, child prostitutes, or racoons crying for their lives while they're being skinned alive. Baby pigs being hit with electric rods, and then their heads crushed from a boot on the head. I mean whatever.. there's just so much shit that could anger us - and a lot of it goes unpunished in this life. I have no great love for humanity in the sense that I'd extend it to the people who do this stuff too. They deserve either hell or nothing.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Heaven is a map of what we lack.

Heaven is about that which we cannot speak.

Heaven is about what we cannot speak to power.

Heaven is the heart of a heartless world.

Heaven is about our inarticulate longings. Heaven is about what we long for but cannot say.

And we cannot say because our longings are too embarrassing. Our longings are too dangerous to speak because they are a threat to power.

And power of course makes us ashamed of our longings.

And power is powerful and we are ashamed.

But power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, corrupting us to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    if you believe in heaven how do you see it?

if you could create your own how would it be?

and...what about hell? what's hell to you?
    I do not think hell and heaven exist as physical places. At most, they exist within our minds. We make our own hells and heavens.

something similar to what Joseph Campbell speaks about. The journey is inward, not outwards

"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone; for the heroes of all time have one before us, the labyrinth is fully known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero-path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."
    — Joseph Campbell (The Hero with a Thousand Faces)

Now, in answer to the hypothetical question of making our own heaven or hell physically... hmnn

In my heaven I will have only one rule.That no one should "worship" me. Furthermore, i will set up an impartial system of law...(no favoritism...regardless of how "devout" a person is...or how much he/she repents). other than that, everyone is free to do as they like, as long as they do not intrude upon the freedoms of others.

there is an interesting comic book with a situation similar to this..where the creator says, you can enjoy this paradise as long as you do not worship me, because the moment you worship me(or someone/something else) you will lose your immortality

Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

My heaven is clarity and understanding

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    631 sp
    INTj None

[QUOTE=Sky is BLUE!;1152759]I prefer to wait and see what happens when I pass on. But I'd love for there to be an afterlife and that's what I've always imagined as "heaven" without any kind of religious overtones. [B]QUOTE]

same here...

as for heaven, it would have all the sensual pleasures of a hemingway novel minus the alcoholism, an endless supply of random information and lists and trivia, and a lot of a quasi-legal thing or two that i'm not sure i can post without getting banned. oh, and word and strategy games and backgammon.