User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    One of the few exact things said in the bible about the afterlife is that there is no marriage. I really hope that either a transcriber got that wrong or the apostle took it upon himself to lie for pragmatic purposes (widows and widowers were afraid of remarrying and having multiple spouses in heaven).
    Unlikely; the bible's version of heaven there is no love for anyone other than god. Yeu would have no real affection nor association with anyone else. It's like if yeu went to church for prayer and praise but had absolutely zero connection to anyone else there.

Not that it'd matter since yeu'd have no rest, nor need for rest; no relaxation, nor desire for relaxation; no desires, nor want for such. All yeu would have is the unending praise of god with nothing else in yeur day. Ever. For eternity.

There's no point for marriage to exist in the bible's incarnation of heaven. Yeu'd never be allowed to love anyone other than god anyway.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Unlikely; the bible's version of heaven there is no love for anyone other than god. Yeu would have no real affection nor association with anyone else. It's like if yeu went to church for prayer and praise but had absolutely zero connection to anyone else there.
    I don't know about that. I mean, there are instances throughout the Bible where people residing in heaven were doing something other than praising god with worship.

Not that it'd matter since yeu'd have no rest, nor need for rest; no relaxation, nor desire for relaxation; no desires, nor want for such. All yeu would have is the unending praise of god with nothing else in yeur day. Ever. For eternity.
    How is mindless worship... Worship? Also, again, I do not recall scripture that said we would have no desires. (protip: a desire to worship = a desire.)

There's no point for marriage to exist in the bible's incarnation of heaven. Yeu'd never be allowed to love anyone other than god anyway.
    I don't recall this.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    if you believe in heaven how do you see it?

if you could create your own how would it be?

I believe the most important aspect of heaven will be the change in perspective that everyone will have. Everything will become clear, and we will no longer be obsessed with our own pettiness or selfishness. Instead the things that are important will always be there in our minds reminding us of what is important.

Human need does not simply disappear. Rather people become so aware of each other's needs that no need is neglected anymore. Each knows the type of work that they would most enjoy, and that work is meaningful because it meets a need that other people have. So during the day people engage in meaningful and enjoyable work. The rest of the time is spent mostly with loved ones, and each person is always filled with a deep appreciation for the people close to them.

Every day is not necessarily fun. Some days can even be quite frustrating. However when taken in larger chunks of time people always see their life as very fulfilling. And every human need is met by someone else doing meaningful work. Everyone enjoys their work and the people they are with. Because of this they lose all track of time as one does when a person is really enjoying something. Consequently one can't really tell if they've been alive a few days or for hundreds of years. Instead people simply enjoy the moment, and they have no need to worry about the future.

I tend to think that every person can create a small slice of heaven on earth if they really aim to. And that little taste will cause us to look forward to the paradise that God has waiting for us.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    One of the few exact things said in the bible about the afterlife is that there is no marriage. I really hope that either a transcriber got that wrong or the apostle took it upon himself to lie for pragmatic purposes (widows and widowers were afraid of remarrying and having multiple spouses in heaven).
    Remember what the Anabaptists interpreted this as meaning? They became polygamists as a result.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I believe the most important aspect of heaven will be the change in perspective that everyone will have. Everything will become clear, and we will no longer be obsessed with our own pettiness or selfishness. Instead the things that are important will always be there in our minds reminding us of what is important.

Human need does not simply disappear. Rather people become so aware of each other's needs that no need is neglected anymore. Each knows the type of work that they would most enjoy, and that work is meaningful because it meets a need that other people have. So during the day people engage in meaningful and enjoyable work. The rest of the time is spent mostly with loved ones, and each person is always filled with a deep appreciation for the people close to them.

Every day is not necessarily fun. Some days can even be quite frustrating. However when taken in larger chunks of time people always see their life as very fulfilling. And every human need is met by someone else doing meaningful work. Everyone enjoys their work and the people they are with. Because of this they lose all track of time as one does when a person is really enjoying something. Consequently one can't really tell if they've been alive a few days or for hundreds of years. Instead people simply enjoy the moment, and they have no need to worry about the future.

I tend to think that every person can create a small slice of heaven on earth if they really aim to. And that little taste will cause us to look forward to the paradise that God has waiting for us.
    agreed, very well said.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

hmm, heaven to me looks like earth, but more lush, everyone's got a cool house, and all of your neighbors are fun, intelligent, kind, and righteous (not necessarily religious). and i'd like to think it's a place where none of us have tapped into ultimate potential yet (like, we don't know "everything" exactly.. but we get learn from each other. like you could spend days with a martin luther king or a joan of arc or train with bruce lee... and actually learn something from them. and communing with the divine too, of course).

[edit] also, my pets will be there.. but i won't call them "pets" at that point. umm.. more like all of my "animal friends".

MBTI
    ENTP

my first thought of heaven is always the pop Christian land of clouds. it works fine for me, but i'd rather live on a cloud bound to earth.
    beyond that, i'm open to any interpretation. the only consistent characteristic is bliss.

likewise, hell is the absence of relief. i'd exist for eternity at the coldest point on Earth, perhaps at the bottom of a polar ocean, and i wouldn't die, or go numb, or leave. or i could simply lose the ability to sleep. who's seen The Hunger?

A Whale of a Place

Quote Originally Posted by 1104 View Post
    i'm open to any interpretation. the only consistent characteristic is bliss.
    Through gene sequencing we have just discovered we share genes with Neanderthals, so we can presume there are Neanderthals in heaven.

But we have also discovered through gene sequencing that we share genes with bananas, so we can equally presume that there are bananas in heaven.

Also we have discovered that we share genes with the AIDS virus, so the AIDS virus will also join us in heaven.

And as heavenly bliss is wish fulfilment, we can wish that the whole tree of life joins us in heaven, from the lowliest virus to the largest Blue Whale.

Heaven will be a whale of a place.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

What I really hope for is what I describe here:
    BDMNQR Essays: Math & Science
    We could explore what might have been at any point if things were different, in addition to exploring the rest of the universe, higher dimensions, and seeing God and fellowshipping with Him and each other forever. Most religion just posits this last part, making it seem like time continues as we know it, and that's what we'll be doing for an infinite amount of time. More recently (from the influence of the Millerites, who emphasize a physical Kingdom on earth), the mainstream Church has added this perfect utopia to the endless worship, but looking at time in the same linear fashion we experience it now, it still ends up seeming boring or meaningless after awhile.
    The only thing I can't figure out, is if we can experience counterfactuals, then are the other people in them real, or would everyone have to experience them together?
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

My daughter asked me this question a couple of years ago. I said I didn't really know, as I haven't really ever given it much thought, since my faith has never been the kind that relied on/needed promises of death not being the end, to exist. But then later that week I wrote this, and something in me said it was the answer to her question.

"Show me the world, his world and mine within it
    Show me the reality and I still choose
    I still want - it's what I want
    what I choose
    to go there, to leave this
    and go there, to stay
    amidst the disease, the blood, the danger,
    under the starkest of kings
    let me - let me see it
    but it's not a choice I have
    because it's gone.
    For you Lord, anything is possible.