User Tag List

First 123 Last

Victor, can you please describe a little more concretely what you mean by 'personal testimony' in a non-religious sense? What would be your alternative? What is your ideal world or your ideal forum?

It seems to me that we must encounter the world through our own experiences first and foremost. As we mature, we learn to take the experiences of others into account, but even that is indirect, filtered through our understanding of those people's experiences. There is no such thing as being purely objective, because we are always limited by what we have experienced, biased by what we can perceive. I remember the day I realized that other people had consciousness too, and it blew my mind... I wanted so badly to experience their consciousness, to see the world or a situation how they saw it, but eventually I realized that the best I could do was imagine it based on my own understanding of myself and of them as individuals.

Do you disagree that a person's experiences are vital in shaping how they have developed into the person which they are? How can we improve, how can we learn to see things from others' perspectives if we do not understand our own perspective?

I agree that too much self-inspection can actually be blinding though, both to insight into ourselves and to insight into other people.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    so much so I understand Yankees will even tell you their life history as you are standing in the queue at the supermarket.
    This is annoying. More likely to happen in the south, but i suppose we're all yanks to you.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I thought that almost all of Victor's posts were a sort of personal testimony. Perhaps I've been reading them wrong.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's crazy that people join a forum and then talk about their personal experiences. That's just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I thought that almost all of Victor's posts were a sort of personal testimony. Perhaps I've been reading them wrong.
    He believes he speaks for all of us.

Notice the strong use of "we".

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Sometimes personal testimony is cathartic and helps a person get over a trauma or other difficulties. This has nothing to do with protestantism or religion.

MBTI
    ISTP

The true delusion is the belief that what we each experience is somehow impersonal (because we are self-righteous)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Dear Victor,

why don't you just be straightforward and start a thread titled "I hate America, Americans and everything associated with the USA"?

Too afraid of the consequences? It's safer to write thinly veiled attacks all over the place isn't it?

Sincerely,

whatever, who is generally a dreadful american, but is getting pretty irked nonetheless
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

^So that's what all this stuff is about? I guess I don't read it enough to catch it.

Evil Americans!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

says the chick from Cleveland!

read the OP, or the OP of his thread on guns are evil or a variety of other posts... they generally call Americans evil
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett