Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    with a hat of course
    Well, duh! Of course!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, duh! Of course!
    don't even get me started on hat envy suffered at the Kentucky Derby :steam:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Jennifer- oh no! completely opposite of my religious experience... which involved sitting in sunday school repeating the phrase "it just doesn't make sense to me"
    What was not making sense, specifically?

(For me, in church, I was soaking it all up, INTP style, trying to learn the structure of it and get a "big picture sense." Eventually, where what I was being taught seemed to be conflicting, that's where I started to fight and question.)

And yes, religion as guilt is really something that kind of makes me nervous... I don't NEED extra guilt in my life
    Definitely. Which is why I am saying don't take that route.

I think realizing where you have made mistakes and even where you've harbored bad feelings towards others (resulting in bad behavior) or indulged in selfishness at another's expense is something we all have to face as part of growth... but a lot of religious culture seems to inflict some level of shaming against the person themselves. If you experience that, you are heading into quicksand and need to head in a different direction; that sort of shame, the shame that diminishes your value as a person, that puts you down, making you feel unlovable and worthless, is poisonous and deadly and confusing.

I'm starting to think that God is a total bastard... I've been trying to figure things out for more than 10 years now and have gotten NO indication of which way to turn at all
    To be honest, God *is* a total bastard... in a way of speaking.

Mike Yaconelli
    would go around and say that God didn't make his life better, instead God f*cked it all up. This didn't make a lot of the traditionalists happy, but I think what Mike was saying is that a lot of religious faith is aimed at making people comfortable and making life make sense for them... but real life and real happiness isn't found in comfort or total sense, it's found through the continual, ongoing action of engaging the world and embracing your life.

This is what I have found too. All those years, where everyone was telling me what the answers were and how to make my life predictable and comfortable, were the most miserable years of my existence and I wanted to die; nowadays, I cannot say I understand everything, I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow, but I feel happy to be alive and I'm engaged in the process.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Jennifer- something about Christinanity never really clicked with me somehow... I mean, it has some good points and lessons, like treating people well and not fawning over rich people and things of that sort, but something about it has always left me feeling kind of empty in a way... it's never felt like the right path to take to me, from the moment I can remember even thinking about it

It's like dating a friend in a way- you're good friends, you like them well enough but you know that you're never really going to have a romantic relationship that WORKS for both of you... it's just missing something

Somehow from that point on I had a feeling that there should be something else that should make sense... and we can see where that's taken me!

but yeah, I could deal with a religion that would try to make people feel LESS guilty if possible... my brain is hardwired to shake a finger at me, I fear
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Why dont't you just leave religion behind and try to find happness in something else ?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

because I'm not you

obviously, I feel a need for religion if I started this thread

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

LL- I've actually scored equally on S and R every time I've taken the test... including in high school... this adds to job confusion as well... am I supposed to become a gregarious forest ranger? (easier done in disney movies where the animals talk! )
    (heh I'm getting off track here, but I really don't care.)

The type of career that fits you will depend on what your third preference is. If it's Investigative, then you might consider being a vetrinarian, since you'd work with both animals and people in that way. If it's Enterprising then managing rental properties would fit, since you could see it as a way to help people, but you'd also need to do plenty of outdoors and fix it type stuff. Likewise if your third letter is Conventional then you might want to consider something like hairstylist. And if Artistic is your third preference then either photographer or Art teacher would fit.

Of course there are other options out there. Those are the ones that come to mind first though.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it is E, with I close behind

and I suppose they always ARE hiring people to work for apartments and such here...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

it is E, with I close behind

and I suppose they always ARE hiring people to work for apartments and such here...
    If it's E, then managing apartments is a good option. And since you have a decent amount of I you could also consider teaching something like P.E. or Shop or Auto Mechanics since that would involve something from all four letters S\R\E\I.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

that could be fun! I always kind of wanted to be a park ranger who led guided tours as well