User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have only one piece of advice.

If there is a God, then the relative merits of various religions are irrelevant to your search, and shopping for one is a fool's errand. If there is a God, then your task is to seek out the God who Is... not what you want God to be, not what other people believe God to be, but the God who Is.

I'm a firm believer in "Seek, and you will find." Pay no attention to traditions or creeds at this stage of the game. Either God is real or God is not real, and I believe that if God is real then he/she/it will respond to your honest search. You'll either make a connection or you won't. All else is window dressing.
    Well said!

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have only one piece of advice.

If there is a God, then the relative merits of various religions are irrelevant to your search, and shopping for one is a fool's errand. If there is a God, then your task is to seek out the God who Is... not what you want God to be, not what other people believe God to be, but the God who Is.

I'm a firm believer in "Seek, and you will find." Pay no attention to traditions or creeds at this stage of the game. Either God is real or God is not real, and I believe that if God is real then he/she/it will respond to your honest search. You'll either make a connection or you won't. All else is window dressing.
    yes, i also agree, even though i don't wish to devalue personal faith in religions... a person's spiritual path is between God and her/ him.

just for the record, i believe there Is.
    Enneagram 5w4.

MBTI
    ENTP

You are a god. Love yourself.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

LL- I've actually scored equally on S and R every time I've taken the test... including in high school... this adds to job confusion as well... am I supposed to become a gregarious forest ranger? (easier done in disney movies where the animals talk! )

Jennifer- yeah, it's that resonating that you described that I want! I'm just a bit confused... and it'd be nice to have something at my back that's not a wall

Oberon (and uumlau and yvonne)-
    you're speaking to the person who suffers moral paralysis at a buffet ANY hint of direction like religions can give would be a useful thing... if one would resonate...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Jennifer- yeah, it's that resonating that you described that I want! I'm just a bit confused... and it'd be nice to have something at my back that's not a wall
    lol! try to find it in your heart? in your feelings for your loved ones, nature...
    Enneagram 5w4.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you're right on that... I need to get back out into nature... civilization can only do so much for me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Oberon (and uumlau and yvonne)-
    you're speaking to the person who suffers moral paralysis at a buffet ANY hint of direction like religions can give would be a useful thing... if one would resonate...
    I already gave you my one piece of advice. If you decide to follow it, the thing to do is to put away the question of 'which religion' for right now and try some form of prayer. Go straight to the Source. If there is a God you'll get your answer. If not, you'll just feel silly... not something that bothers you much, I gather.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, nature is good.

I don't feel like I am the greatest "explainer" on it, because I got saved when I was five. As soon as the teacher described Jesus and who he was (none of the intricate and complicated doctrines about him, just the very very basics), I wanted to be part of it. I don't have many memories intact from that part of my life, but I remember the room and the setting and lighting and the pictures on the walls from that morning. It stuck out to me, even all this time later. Knowing how critical I have been in my thinking all my life, the part where I just saw it, believed it, and accepted it still rather stuns me... like I was made for it.

I spent a lot of life exploring the interface of what Christianity promoted vs my observations on psychological growth and human relationship, and I always saw the two as congruent. (Maybe that is why I get frustrated with a lot of the political applications of faith nowadays, I feel like it is NOT healthy and flies again relational common sense as shown through real-life experience... but anyway...)

I mean, nature is beautiful and transcendent and I feel closer to the divine in nature than anywhere else, honestly. But a lot of it was seeing what ways of living resonated in me and feeling that same resonance within my particular faith... so it's all part of the same thing to me, rather than something I impose on myself from the outside.

As far as trusting God, though, and understanding, it took a lot of years to get to a place of peace. I had a lot of self-acceptance to learn, since I was always very aware of my shortcomings and very hard on myself when I failed to live up to what I claimed to believe; instead of using faith to "guilt myself" and show myself why I was bad or wrong (which is often how I felt around other Christians in organized settings), I came to a place where I could accept I was human, fallible, imperfect, and accept it, and realize God did not despise me or was ashamed of me for being human; instead I was still valued and loved. And life wasn't about punishing me when I did wrong, or God getting exasperated or angry at my failures or questions and wondering "when I'd get with the program," it was more a revelatory outpouring and unfolding of enlightenment and relationship.

I don't know how to explain it much better than that... But once I got to that point, I felt like God really was watching my back so to speak...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm starting to think that God is a total bastard... I've been trying to figure things out for more than 10 years now and have gotten NO indication of which way to turn at all

and looking silly has never bothered me at all... otherwise I probably wouldn't enjoy wearing combat boots with sundresses on a regular basis... in the midwest

with a hat of course

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Jennifer- oh no! completely opposite of my religious experience... which involved sitting in sunday school repeating the phrase "it just doesn't make sense to me"

And yes, religion as guilt is really something that kind of makes me nervous... I don't NEED extra guilt in my life