User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

A window to the soul

God's been there, even when it didn't feel like it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I WANT that feeling of security!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It's hard to explain. I ventured out, a girl alone thousands of miles from my Texas home and faced my fears to work in the Silicon Valley. Those were some tough times right out of college and I remember standing on a beach at night in San Francisco and crying out to God if he could hear me and asking why he abandoned me there. I was feeling really overwhelmed, out of my Texas element, and alone. The wind off the Pacific ocean was so loud that even though I was shouting, I couldn't even hear my own words. At the time, I didn't believe that God was hearing them either. Looking back now I see how God was with me the whole time, he was right there and he carried me through it. I believe there was something greater than me that can't be explained that took me out of a few valleys. I survived my adventures, I'm stronger, wiser, and more successful because of it. This is why I say God has never failed me; it stands the test of time for me.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm happy for you... and a little envious as well... a move can be a challenge. I don't think I'll ever feel as at home in the city
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It's not a feeling of security, really. It's more aptly described as confidence. "Faith" would be the proper word, but people have too many different meanings for that word to precisely convey what I mean.

With faith, you will still be scared, you will still be worried, and you will certainly be uncertain ... but there will be something deep inside you that keeps you from giving up, that helps you live one day at a time, that will carry you through the darkest hours of the night.

It's not an "opiate of the masses" as one famous quote suggests. It is not a narcotic that lets you ignore the evils of the world. Rather, it is a deep spiritual strength that lets you face those evils head on.

No, if you search for "security," you will not find what you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    God's been there, even when it didn't feel like it.
    I think you summed up what I was trying to say much more succinctly.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISFP

perfectgirl wrote: "God's been there, even when it didn't feel like it."

then whatever wrote: I WANT that feeling of security!

---------

uumlau called it faith, or confidence. Another word for it is trust. Nontraditional people can and do have it also, and they might not use the word 'God' but might say, "Everything's okay."

With enough trust, there's a sense of even 'not trusting' being okay.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The "feeling" is irrelevant to spirituality, IME. Don't fall for the Jesus is a white middle class republican way of experiencing spirituality. If there is a god that god transcends all cultures and races and generations. I think the charismatic experience is something to beware because it is not necessary to being religious or spiritual (like this musician who doesn't get those "feelings").

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6_txtZa3Yk"]Worth a listen[/YOUTUBE]

I would take “no” for an answer
    Just to know I heard You speak
    And I’m wonderin’ why I’ve never
    Seen the signs they claim they see
    Are the special revelations
    Meant for everybody but me?
    Maybe I don’t truly know You
    Or maybe I just simply believe

‘Cause I can sniff, I can see
    And I can count up pretty high
    But these faculties aren’t getting me
    Any closer to the sky
    But my heart of faith keeps poundin’
    So I know I’m doin’ fine
    But sometimes finding You
    Is just like trying to
    Smell the color nine

Now I’ve never ‘felt the presence’
    But I know You’re always near
    And I’ve never ‘heard the calling’
    But somehow You’ve led me right here
    So I’m not looking for burning bushes
    Or some divine graffiti to appear
    I’m just beggin’ You for some wisdom
    And I believe You’re puttin’ some here

‘Cause I can sniff, I can seek,
    I can count up pretty high
    But these faculties aren’t getting me
    Any closer to the sky
    But my heart of faith keeps poundin’
    So I know I’m doin’ fine
    But sometimes finding You
    Is just like trying to
    Smell the color nine

Smell the color nine?
    But nine’s not a color
    And even if it were you can’t smell a color
    That’s my point exactly...
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

The God Delusion

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    "opiate of the masses" as one famous quote...
    This is not a quotation but a lie to maintain the illusion.

Here is the quotation -

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions".

MBTI
    INTP

Have you checked out Unitarian Universalism yet? Its my understanding that its composed of spiritual seekers who lack faith in any specific religion, and find a sort of communion and comfort within a community of people like themselves.

Unitarian Universalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The lack of the "community" aspect of religion has never been a particular problem for me, so I've never felt compelled to investigate UUism any further, but I think I can understand where you're coming from: I was raised by a border-line fundamentalist mother who personifies the positive aspect of the old adage that "fundamentalist" Christianity makes good people (in terms of altruism) better and bad people worse. Even when I still had my childhood faith, I felt estranged from the religious experiences of others. I eventually became a Deist and then a reluctant agnostic, but my dislike for many crucial aspects of fundamentalist (or "traditional," for the Catholics and Orthodox out there) Christianity never took the form of antipathy towards religious people (including fundamentalist Christians) that seems all-too-common among my fellow "heathens."