User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    owl- most are Christian, my dad is a theist of sorts and the man is just as confused and curious as I am... our house contains a lot of books on religion
    Learn what you can from your father. His extra years of experience should translate into wisdom unavailable to youngsters.

I don't expect you to become Christian just because I'm one, or your father is one. In the end, this is a subjective journey you have travel on your own. Seek and you shall find. Knock and it shall be opened to you.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

things are more fun with other people
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Aimee- then you've been busy! welcome to the forum, by the way!
    Yeah starting off in a new forum isn't easy... sooooooo much to read and catch up on; same goes if yeu take a break for a month or so. On a day to day basis it can be staggering as it is sometimes... let a few weeks worth pile up and it's rapidly overwhelming.

To people who read all the posts in a thread without skimming over any of them, yeu get a... marshmallow. Because I have a bag of them handy. I'm not sure why. Just accept it and enjoy.

MBTI
    INTP

things are more fun with other people
    Things are more fun with other people.

But the decision to believe or not to believe is up to you.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it's not really down to whether or not to beleive- I beleive- it's finding a comfortable community and exactly what beleifs I have that's the confusing part
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I would LOVE to beleive in something, have a community of a sort and have that feeling of safety, calm and acceptance that people can find with religion but it just doesn't click. Part of this is because I feel that who I AM doesn't quite jive correctly with a lot of religions- for some I'm too exhuberant and fascinated by sensory experiences, for some I am an evil sinful harlot... and I can't stand the idea of a religion that would send anyone to Hell... if I couldn't do it I sure as hell don't want to beleive in a God who would
    My $.02.

God may have created this universe, but he left it up to man to create religion. That is why religion is so messed up. It may be there is a faith out there that suits you, or maybe there isn't because no one has yet started one for people like yourself. Here is one insight you may find interesting. According to the Holland personality codes, the Social types (those who like to help people) tend to have the opposite personality from the Realistic types (those who like outdoors, animals, and working with tools). If you are in the latter group, it may be hard for you to find a church where you feel like you fit in.

As for the subject of hell, I believe the authors of the New Testament saw hell as essentially equivalent to death. I.e. hell was simply the end of your life. I realize the Christians who share my viewpoint are in the minority, but I've studied this subject fairly thoroughly, and I'm quite certain this is correct.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Sniffles

Here whatever:
    [youtube="RMR-yPA4lsY"]Pick your faith[/youtube]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

LL... oh no! I score equal on S and R on the Holland Code ... That does go along with my thought that there's one goal but many paths leading to it in religion though!

and interesting thoughts on hell... I must think now!

Peguy... can't I just draw one out of a hat or spin a wheel and choose?

If God loves everyone, then God loves no one. In the same way, if we are all gifted, then no one is gifted. In the same way, the bien pensant tell us we are all global citizens, but global citizenship doesn't exist anymore than God.

Sniffles

Peguy... can't I just draw one out of a hat or spin a wheel and choose?
    Naughty religion it is then!