User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

owl- friends, family and a wonderful man- I adore them all and the idea of leaving them is rather dreadful

and yeah... sometimes ESTPness can pay off... I'm also potting plants, making dinner and cleaning the kitchen!

Peguy- I'm shocked that it even GOT to post 100
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    And it's not that I'm an atheist either- I beleive in something- just the thought that I can't quite put my finger on it really bugs me... religions fascinate me, I love reading about them, but I can't manage to fit in
    There are some mystics who were in your position and honestly admitted that they don't feel a personal connection with god and it is exactly what is needed for there to be real faith. I don't need faith to believe that my friend exists. I can easily see it for myself. But I do need faith to believe in something I can't observe.

Personally I think that if god existed in the way most christians depict him, I would disagree with him on so many things that there is no way I could worship him. But you are right that it would be nice to believe in something. The thing is, I can't start with some idea I disagree with and try to find a way I could buy it. I need to look at the world as I see it and figure out what there is I can believe in. Like, that people are essentially good, that good deeds are paid with good life, that humanity isn't about to die off, that I am not a worthless piece of a machine that destroys everything. Believing in any of these takes faith, and I think that believing in these can make as big a difference in my life than it would if I believed in god.

MBTI
    INTP

owl
    Thanks for the color!

- friends, family and a wonderful man- I adore them all and the idea of leaving them is rather dreadful
    Ohh... don't cry...

Yes. You could stay with your family, friends, and the wonderful man, but are they feeding you?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nolla- yeah- the god of the bible is pretty evil in the old testament especially it's the whole trying to figure things out that's the difficult part really... how does one answer existential questions?

owl- most are Christian, my dad is a theist of sorts and the man is just as confused and curious as I am... our house contains a lot of books on religion
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP

fascinating thread. I too seem to have an enduring existential crisis.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

thanks! I thought that it was a topic worth addressing... hope the responses have been of some help!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Yes. You could stay with your family, friends, and the wonderful man, but are they feeding you?
    Nothin' says lovin' like food pellets and a salt lick!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

how does one answer existential questions?
    I'd start with what I know. There's an awful lot of questions about that already Do we know anything? The chances are you will end up in a void, and the question turns to what you believe you need to know. Is it important to know if you should do good? There is no proof that if you do good you will get good in return. Don't you just feel that it is better? What if you focus on that feeling? Where does it lead you?

I don't think that existential questions are big, really. But the void is.

MBTI
    ENFP

thanks! I thought that it was a topic worth addressing... hope the responses have been of some help!
    It must have been because I read every single post!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nolla- I feel compelled to do good... but I really suck at introspection

Aimee- then you've been busy! welcome to the forum, by the way!