User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Prophecy In Christianity: Related to Ni?

I remember reading way back when I was first devouring the internet of everything related to MBTI that NJ (Ni) is the "pastor trait" and that the prophets were all Ni dominant or secondary.

Sometimes I really feel like I know stuff. And I've observed I'm right far more than most (if not all) of my Christian friends when they voice things. But then again, I have so many theories, ideas, and "movies" playing in my head 24/7 perhaps it's just that I had more possible things to claim that I "already knew".

Any links related to the subject (or just modern day prophesying in general, I know it's controversial if it even exists in the Christian community) are much appreciated.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I really don't think that God looks at your MBTI and decides whether or not you can know things. I don't think it works that way. No not at all. I am Ne dominant and well I have been given a word or 2 of truth in the past. God looks for who is open who is receptive and who is the best person to give the message. MBTI I don't think really plays into this. Especially if you consider that many people develop differnt MBTI traits as they age.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I remember reading way back when I was first devouring the internet of everything related to MBTI that NJ (Ni) is the "pastor trait" and that the prophets were all Ni dominant or secondary.

Sometimes I really feel like I know stuff. And I've observed I'm right far more than most (if not all) of my Christian friends when they voice things. But then again, I have so many theories, ideas, and "movies" playing in my head 24/7 perhaps it's just that I had more possible things to claim that I "already knew".

Any links related to the subject (or just modern day prophesying in general, I know it's controversial if it even exists in the Christian community) are much appreciated.
    Introverted Intuition is the function most likely of all to accurately predict the future because it is most closely in tune with the abstract perceptions. It can lead us to unconsciously discern patterns in the environment we observe and by virtue of this endow us with notions of how they may unravel in the future.

Almost all prophets operated on Introverted Intuition, many were dominant Introverted Intuitors.

Incidentally, we have the following,

Jesus (INFJ)
    Muhammad(ENTJ)
    Buddha(INFJ)

Contemporary prophets were also dominant introverted Intuitiors. Dostoevksy(INFJ), Nietzsche (INTJ), Lenin (ENFJ), Napoleon (ENTJ), Jean-Paul-Sartre(INTJ).

It is with the perceiving functions we access our environment directly, for this reason Introverted Intuitors are best at speculating about what our environment may be like. And Extroverted Intuitors best at applying their visions to the external environment. Representatives of the latter could be characterized by the following: Leo Tolstoy (ENFP), Bill Clinton (ENFP), Bertrand Russell(ENTP), de Voltaire (ENTP), Denis Diderot (ENTP), Machiavelli (ENTP), and David Hume (ENTP).
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I really don't think that God looks at your MBTI and decides whether or not you can know things. I don't think it works that way. No not at all. I am Ne dominant and well I have been given a word or 2 of truth in the past. God looks for who is open who is receptive and who is the best person to give the message. MBTI I don't think really plays into this. Especially if you consider that many people develop differnt MBTI traits as they age.
    I didn't explain my 1st post as well as I should have. I definitely have personally experienced all sorts of MBTI types voice things God has told them. Even lots of S types.
    I was wondering if it was related to how Ni functions, is all. That could mean that a lot of Ni dominant Christians never "hear" from God this way, and also Ni-barely-used people could be prophets. I was just looking for a correlation between Ni and prophecy b/c I read about it somewhere. More of a correlation in the sense of how it comes to be known.

The stuff I wonder if it's prophecy about for me, is really long-term statistically improbable things that have started to come true. I have more than a few of those. More like I watched a story unfold in my head and it's bugging me b/c it looks like it has the potential to come true, regardless of how improbable it is.
    Some of it already has. But it's like 1/100 chance x 1/100 chance... I'm not very far along with things yet. (Some are age/life-stage related.) So I can't see how this pans out for a while.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    Is God a person?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Moses came off to me as an ESTJ in some ways (he's definitely a T, not an F), if I had to consider him. And he's considered one of the greatest "prophets" -- although I think in function and behavior he was much different than the ones we normally think of as prophets, like Elijah or Isaiah or John the Baptist.

I didn't explain my 1st post as well as I should have. I definitely have personally experienced all sorts of MBTI types voice things God has told them. Even lots of S types.
    I was wondering if it was related to how Ni functions, is all. That could mean that a lot of Ni dominant Christians never "hear" from God this way, and also Ni-barely-used people could be prophets. I was just looking for a correlation between Ni and prophecy b/c I read about it somewhere. More of a correlation in the sense of how it comes to be known.
    I agree with that. I see Ni style people (like John Lennon, for example) expressing themselves similar to the old-style prophets, even if it's not the Christian God they refer to. It seems to me to simply be the way that things are received and how they're expressed, not whether God is really speaking to them or not, that has that sort of mystical flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Is God a person?
    Would you like to send him a Christmas card?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I always figured these prophets got a hold of some bad mushrooms, or mescaline or some kind of hallucinogen. Either that or they had cancer or any number of other medical explanations for their 'experiencing' god. Hallucinations seems the most likely fit. I don't know about it being Ni, though I've heard it on more than one occasion being compared with hallucinogens.

Perhaps god intends us to hallucinate so that we can see 'him' or it -- whatever god is. Remember the difference between delusion and hallucination. I've chosen my words carefully.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

Fairy tales are for conception only.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I always figured these prophets got a hold of some bad mushrooms, or mescaline or some kind of hallucinogen. Either that or they had cancer or any number of other medical explanations for their 'experiencing' god. Hallucinations seems the most likely fit. I don't know about it being Ni, though I've heard it on more than one occasion being compared with hallucinogens.
    It sounds to me as if you are considering "prophecy" to be "visions of God" or some sort of "experience." In general, the prophetic gift is not considered to be that; it's more of an inner conviction about what is happening, coupled with the expression of the conviction. It was a judgment leveled upon Israel, and if they continued in the wrong path, here was what would happen to them... and if they changed their ways, then a different outcome was offered. So in many ways the prophets did not seem "mystical" as much as precautionary.

For example, Jeremiah was not constantly undergoing crazy experiences. He was perceiving the nation of Israel as having a moral failing and he was performing painful/long-term object lessons with his life in order to get across the severity of what Israel was doing and where it would end up. The behavior seems more like that of a suffering performance artist (who pulls back the veil over people's eyes by the shock of his message) than any actual hallucinogenic perception of reality.

And some of the others fell into the same category. The only relevant experiences your remarks seem to address are the visions (such as when Paul talks about himself being caught up in the "seventh heaven" or something similar).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

When you talk to God it's called prayer. When God talks to you it's called schizophrenia.