• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Celtic paganism - personal experiences

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The point of the thread is to talk about your experiences and beliefs.
It is not here to argue about whether this is total bullshit or not. To some, it most certainly is.
This thread is for us who believe, want to believe or almost believe.

Alright.

I discovered celtic religion a few years ago.
It has been an interest for a long time, to be honest.
I have until recently thought that religion is "bloody fucking stupid".
Well, it turns out that was what I was being about it.
That's atypical for an INTJ. Actually believing in something.
I know I have a fellow INTJ on here who is on the exact same path as I, though.
Sort of fun...
But I believe that you can't really believe in anything unless you have read about it a lot until you grasp the concept.

Then, suddenly some day, when you are a day's walk from civilization...
You have to "embody the hunter", as i'd like to call it, before you can truly know it is real.
And... Quite honestly... Much bigger than anything mortal.
I have had two experiences in the last five years.
Well... I could count a few strange occurrences, but I can't be sure on those accounts.
I do not know about the other deities, or even if it is a distinctly Celtic one, but something close to Cernunnos exists in a very similar way that Cernunnos is described.
I believe it is merely one face of something that you can't put a single name on.
I chose to go with Cernunnos, since he is one of the deities my ancestors worshiped.

I do not preach, try to convert or attend any church or service. However, I do end up in the missionary position every once in a while. ;)
"Worshiping" Cernunnos is not a restraint. It does not make you feel guilty for being natural.
Wanton environmental destruction and killing is the only thing I know for certain is bad.
Cernunnos is a good God, don't get me wrong. But he is good in the same way that a wolf or a bear is good.
It is a different mindset, altogether. It didn't take anything getting used to, though, because it is right.

How do you worship Cernunnos? I never found symbolic sacrifice or rituals to do much at all.
It's just ridiculous customs someone with a huge need of drama made up in order to have a hierarchy.
Cernunnos is a God of benevolent lonewolves and woodsmen.
Think of him in praise, thank him for what you receive, apologize when you have done wrong, like cutting down a perfectly good tree.
As long as you have a reasonable purpose, you'll be OK.
It's really informal, if you don't make it worse.
But... I have a distinct feeling that it/He or, whatever name should be put on him, finds it ridiculous with the whole ritualistic thing.
I don't know why i'm so sure about this. I just am.

It's sort of funny. Sometimes when I am out there, I can feel the Presence of something greater.
I always thought I was imagining things. Now, it sort of chills my bones and makes me very content in a primal way at the same time.
Cernunnos has many forms depending on where you're looking for him.
In Greece, they called him Pan. In Gaul they called him Cernunnos.
In England, he went under the name Herne the Hunter.
In many places there are stories about "the green man".
This is it exactly. It's not some localized occurence.
I do believe it is a rare thing to experience, especially in this day and age.
So long after Rome and later Christianity came and destroyed everything.
I do not hate Christianity. They were stronger at that time, somehow.
But, i'm sad to say, Cernunnos did not die.
He is immortal and not dependent upon mere humans to exist.
He is everything around us. The rocks, the soil, the trees.
Even the concrete high-rise apartments are of nature, albeit twisted and crude creations.
It has probably been a lonely couple of millenia, being denied and dispelled by Christianity.
Even then, things will and must return to nature, and we shall again be the way we were.
And the land shall be as it once was.

The land covered with savannas, enormous forests that stretch over continents, the mountains rude and wild.
Bison will walk the plains again. Wolves will recover from near-extinction, and humans will be scarce.
I can feel that a new age is dawning. My combined senses and my gut tells me that this, what we have here, will not last for much longer.

This is my personal interpretation of things as they are, and I will not force them upon anyone.
I just sort of know that this is probably how many feels about things as they are now.
We have strayed too far and things will be set right. Whether we ourselves will be our own undoing or something greater, I do not know.
Oh, I know some will survive, but our civilization and our fancy technology won't pass through intact.
Whether it is an ice age, nukes, a solar storm, pandemic, meteorite or something entirely different remains to be seen.

It just won't last. The thought makes me sort of happy, too.
I hope my little "irrational" religious ramble didn't made you think I was a loony.
Seriously, i'm not. I'm far from holy or completely good, all-knowing or even wise.
There are just a few things I know and some I don't.
I'm human. I eat, sleep, eat some more, have sex, poop and do all sorts of things.
I'm even quite rational about 99.9% of things, this is just beyond reason.
Or, perhaps just a part of reason that most people forgot somewhere along the long road that took us to where we are now.

I think you should post something about your experiences and thoughts.
Or you could discuss anything I just said.
Please, nothing hostile. I'm not in the mood to defend something I don't need you to believe in.

gromit

likes this
Are you from Ireland? My dad is 1/2 Irish and he goes through periodical Irish phases, although none have included celtic paganism thusfar.

I guess it got lost in that other crazy thread, but I was sincere in my comment...
There are aspects of paganism that I find utterly fascinating...

I love that the same stories appear over and over in different cultures and slightly different forms. I love the role of an ancient nature. I love that it is echoes the wild essence within us...

I believe it is merely one face of something that you can't put a single name on.
I tend to find that the various religions are the attempts of different groups humans to put a name/face to the intangible, the nameless, the faceless. But that sense of awe and wonder and connection, that is constant across cultures and times, whether or not people will acknowledge that it is the same.

I am curious: why do you find ritual to be ridiculous? A lot of well-executed ritual makes me feel very in touch with my body, with the spiritual side of our tangible reality, with symbolic meaning...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright, some ritual is fine, but it can be a bit too much. ;)
I am not from Ireland. I'm Swedish. I've got blood from all over the place, mainly western Europe and Scandinavia.
Celts and Germans.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Where did Celtic paganism originate from? and did all the people that shared the "celtic" languages also share the same religion?

S

Sniffles

So why not Norse paganism then? (I know you answered this in Vent, but for those reading this thread).

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where did Celtic paganism originate from? and did all the people that shared the "celtic" languages also share the same religion?

They shared what is roughly believed to be the same culture and many of the same deities.
Although there are regional varieties, and they go under slightly different names.
The Irish tradition is the one that have survived more intact than most due to relative isolation.
The Romans never came to Hibernia, as it was called then, for starters, and Christianity didn't stomp everything else to pieces as bad as elsewhere.
Then again, Ireland wasn't exactly the center of the Celtic world.

They have found a number of sites that indicate that Cernunnos worship was really important in Gaul.
Gaul (France, parts of Italy, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg) was the center of the Celtic culture.
If you'd like to know more about it, look at the "Barbarians" documentary series by Terry Jones.
The episode you want is called "Barbarians - The primitive Celts".
The name is ironic, and you are about to find out why.

So why not Norse paganism then? (I know you answered this in Vent, but for those reading this thread).

Norse paganism doesn't make my skin crawl, it's just interesting.
Odin is one of my favorite deities, but I have had no experiences with this.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
Knock off the hostility, ok? This isnt a forum with a religious designation or the right to discriminate.
Where have I discriminated against any individual religion?

Is it wrong to point a believer to a friendly community?

Paganism Today - A Honest Approach to Modern Paganism

I've had druids cast protection charms on me before practicing combat sports (they insisted).

Protection Magick

For what it is worth, I didn't get seriously injured during that match.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look, we all know you're just a troll and I know you enjoy the drama and attention it all gives you to twist words and make people agitated.
Can you please leave my thread alone now?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
They shared what is roughly believed to be the same culture and many of the same deities.
Although there are regional varieties, and they go under slightly different names.
The Irish tradition is the one that have survived more intact than most due to relative isolation.
The Romans never came to Hibernia, as it was called then, for starters, and Christianity didn't stomp everything else to pieces as bad as elsewhere.
Then again, Ireland wasn't exactly the center of the Celtic world.

They have found a number of sites that indicate that Cernunnos worship was really important in Gaul.
Gaul (France, parts of Italy, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg) was the center of the Celtic culture.
If you'd like to know more about it, look at the "Barbarians" documentary series by Terry Jones.
The episode you want is called "Barbarians - The primitive Celts".
The name is ironic, and you are about to find out why.

Cheers for that, very interesting. I have seen an episode or two of that series, the roman legions getting their arse handed to them by Persian horse archers I think it was.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cheers for that, very interesting. I have seen an episode or two of that series, the roman legions getting their arse handed to them by Persian horse archers I think it was.

Yeah. Under Crassus... :)
That was a funny episode.
The one about Dacians is good, too.
And the Goths...
But the Celt episode takes the prize. Really well-made.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
Look, we all know you're just a troll and I know you enjoy the drama and attention it all gives you to twist words and make people agitated.
The mods can read my posts thus far on this forum, and determine my sincerity for themselves. Your very name trolls mainstream Christians, and you likely chose it precisely for that reason, but the staff here doesn't seem to mind.

Can you please leave my thread alone now?
I want to sincerely discuss your new religion. As I indicated previously, I know several pagans in-person, but none are INTJs.

Have you studied or tried any Magick? There's no going to Church every week, but have you considered trying a new spell every few days? They really don't take much time at all, and are a more powerful form of prayer.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, someone I know called me her "own local Jesus Christ" because I did her a huge favor.
I changed my nickname to YourLocalJesus on all the sites I was at back then, and it sort of stuck here, as I can't change it by myself and people know me by this name by now.
Not in the intention to troll anyone.
I get on famously with Christians and defend their rights as well as mine. Ask our leading preacher, Peguy.

No, no "magick".

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
eagleseven is banned from the thread.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not a moment too soon.

I can't wait for the input of Satine (Amargith) and a few others.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"The Primitive Celts" is a part of a documentary series by Terry Jones which I mentioned earlier in the thread.
It is relevant in the sense that it makes you understand how much was lost, and just how civilized the old Celtic world actually was.
Much unlike the picture described by the Romans, which became history-book standard until now, when archaeological discoveries disproves it.
The big problem with the Celts is that they didn't write much at all.
Thankfully, what we have was preserved in the British Isles and that coupled with archaeology and piecing the puzzle together gives us some idea of at least parts of the religion and culture.

[YOUTUBE="N9hAo8h2gYA"]The Primitive Celts Part 1/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="mIALRPCf-t4"]The Primitive Celts Part 2/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="2A250_1Sb4U"]The Primitive Celts Part 3/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="BUOew7wWnOA"]The Primitive Celts Part 4/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="B2FLMqJnDtY"]The Primitive Celts Part 5/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="DnZVIpvR2Uk"]The Primitive Celts Part 6/6[/YOUTUBE]

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Cool info! I'm Christian, but my ancestors are from the British Isles, Sweden, and Germany AFAIK and I'm a big fantasy buff, so I enjoy learning about this stuff. I'll be watching the videos you posted in either tonight after the kids go to bed or tomorrow while they are at school. Easier to concentrate then. :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool info! I'm Christian, but my ancestors are from the British Isles, Sweden, and Germany AFAIK and I'm a big fantasy buff, so I enjoy learning about this stuff. I'll be watching the videos you posted in either tonight after the kids go to bed or tomorrow while they are at school. Easier to concentrate then. :D

Oh, it is my favorite book nerd (positive!) and the first person to greet me on here almost three years ago, if I remember correctly :)

You'll enjoy the video. It's not celts vs. england or some such.
This is at the peak of the Celtic civilization, when the Britons were indeed Celts.
Incredibly civilized, at that. Many of the same tribes that inhabited mainland Gaul did indeed hold ground in the British Isles.
Many Belgae (Belgian) tribes inhabited what is now England.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now, I hope some will find something they didn't already know there :)

Speaking of which. I'm a Cernunnos-guy. Lugh and the Morrigú to some extent.
Anyone here who is sitting on a whole lot of uncommon knowledge about the deities?
Any other Celtic deities, too. :)

I'd seriously like you to lecture a bit.