User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

YLJ, just remember that Core Shamanism is a controversial topic at best in the Pagan world. Many feel he's been disrespectful in the way he stripped all cultures from the essential context in which these practises happen. I'm not saying I'm one of em, but be aware that there is a lot of criticism on his work becoz of this. Otoh, studying just the techniques certainly has merit as well.

Celtic Shamanism is one of those practices that have been derived from his teachings, as much of the lore that the celts practised has been lost, fragmented or fused with Christianity, making it very *very* hard to restore it to its original state. There's no real proof, to my knowledge that the celts even practised shamanism, though there are hints in the works of Taliesin and the like.
    Some have indeed taken core shamanism and made a 'celtic variant'. Many reconstructionists just completely refuse to accept those traditions. It's also what gives it that 'wiccan' flavour, as Gardner basically did the same. He took Eastern elements, some stuff he'd learned from the British Trads and threw it together with the celtic pantheon.

All those traditions have their merit, even if they were founded only in the 1950's, but know what you practise and straigten out with yourself what it is that is important to you in your spiritual path.

Just my two cents
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

And...since you asked for personal experiences with regards to Celtic Paganism:

One of the celtic goddesses I work with is Epona. She's one of the goddesses that was known mostly on the main land, by the Gauls and Romans. She's mostly known as the protector of horses and her cult became so popular that the Romans adopted her without even changing her name or her traditions, they just added a holiday for her (December 18th). The most likely reason for this was because a lot of the army boys kinda wanted their horses protected

Other than that she's probably one of the older Mother Goddesses, as she also holds a horn of cornucopia (horn of plenty) in most of her images. She's often also surrounded by many animals, though donkey's and horses in particular. Some also say that due to her connection with horses, she's connected to the realm of the dead as well as the realm of dreams. Horses were the symbol of travel, were held in very high esteem in celtic society and were most likely used by spiritual workers to 'travel' to the other realms, such as the realm of the dead and the astral plane. From there, it developed in Epona also being able to help you attain your dreams. Execute them,really.

Through my own experiences, I've come to work with her to indeed work towards my goals but also for healing and personal growth. Other than that, I also found her very useful for understanding animals ( I study animal behaviorism) both in general and specifically geared towards horses.

Aside from goddesses, I also work with nature spirits. These are present in all traditions that I practise, including the celtic tradition. There, they are known as brownies, sidhe, fey, etc etc. The brownie is a house spirit (which I tend to piss off regularly) who likes things clean (for this reason). Typically, I lose a lot of stuff...once in a while, something important. At that point, I'll try to soothe the brownie in giving it back. Often, afterwards, it surfaces. Most of the time though, all I have to do is stop looking for it frantically, mentally resign to the fact that I'll never find it, and it'll magically appear in a spot that I've searched like 6 times

Alright, YLJ, I did my part now, right?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh, trust me, I will not adapt anything that do not reflect who I am.
    Neither Gardener's ideas or core shamanism is on my agenda. I can work with the real information and the parts that ring true, as well as some things that just slip into my mind.
    It's funny, really. Cernunnos worship isn't very wordy or formal in my eyes. I like that.

Interesting that you should pick Epona of all deities. Like I have probably said, I would have pinned you for a Brigid type.
    Especially since you mentioned healing...
    Then again, most people would probably pin me for a Goibhniu guy.
    The God of Strength and blacksmiths. Even my ancestors were blacksmiths, armorers, weapon smiths etc.
    Not to boast, but strength is one of my remarkable qualities
    As well as healing is yours, it seems. You heal peoples' minds just by talking to them.
    It's sort of rare. You've helped me more times than I can count.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Oh, trust me, I will not adapt anything that do not reflect who I am.
    Neither Gardener's ideas or core shamanism is on my agenda. I can work with the real information and the parts that ring true, as well as some things that just slip into my mind.
    It's funny, really. Cernunnos worship isn't very wordy or formal in my eyes. I like that.

Interesting that you should pick Epona of all deities. Like I have probably said, I would have pinned you for a Brigid type.
    Especially since you mentioned healing...
    Then again, most people would probably pin me for a Goibhniu guy.
    The God of Strength and blacksmiths. Even my ancestors were blacksmiths, armorers, weapon smiths etc.
    Not to boast, but strength is one of my remarkable qualities
    As well as healing is yours, it seems. You heal peoples' minds just by talking to them.
    It's sort of rare. You've helped me more times than I can count.
    thank you...

I did check out Brigid but I didn't get...a spark? She didn't call on me, though I did repeatedly try to get her attention, sort of speak

Also, a lot of what she does is also found in Freyja, which is one of my main patron goddesses and who made a very clear claim on me and suits me better in many ways. Brigid usually appeals more to those that feel more...at home in society, imo. Like a matriarch, the strong willed woman that everyone looks to. A Fe-user, I'd say
    I'm too whimsical and not serious enough to be a Brigid person, though I did read a lot about her, and she's certainly fascinating as well as inspirational

Epona on the other hand...she's known by many though shrouded in mystery as much of what we know about her is mostly archeological evidence without scriptures to enlighten us more. She is an ancient, wise goddess, who's not as prominent as Brigid (it's even believed that Brigid is one of her later 'versions'). And she focuses on animals, though she loves humans as well. As much as I love people...I'm an animal fan first. I prefer the bodylanguage and simplicity in needs of animals to the complexity of a human society. Epona is simple in her wish to bring harmony between animals and people. I like that simplicity and her style. There's no responsibility,no duty, just love and harmony, and a peace within which guides you to your goals. It's hard to explain, sorry.

I'm watching your vids now on the Celtic Barbarians, thanks so much for that. They're fascinating
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I was studying Finnish paganism for a while and have the idea to seek out neo-paganists to get more information that what I can find of Wikipedia

One aspect of Finnish paganism that 'clicks' to me is the animism. Everything has a spirit, or väki haltija. E.g. The fire spirit (tuliväki) is always angry, which is why it hurts when you touch it.

Growing up in a christianity-saturated town in the US never let me see examples of other people's beliefs beyond an on-paper or theoretical standpoint. The examples here are fascinating

I like this thread.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

YLJ,
    Thank you for starting this thread! I'm perousing with interest.
    I'm very drawn to Celtic paganism (particularly the tree gods), but I haven't found very many people who are also interested. I really look forward to more input from other people.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Satine, did you grow up practicing this religion, or did you find it when you were older?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Satine, did you grow up practicing this religion, or did you find it when you were older?
    Mmm...it's kinda..a hard question to answer

No, I grew up in a family that worshipped science and scoffed at anything to do with religion. And in a sense, what I practise really is a lifestyle rather than a religion.

I however always have felt connected with the Earth. In every way. I used to devour books and magazines as a kid on anything to do with nature. And I grew up amidst fields and plains. What I mean is..it's part of who I am, always has been

I remember wondering at 13 why it was that (I went to catholic school) we were ok with worshipping an old man looking down on us from the skies, but did not think to thank the 'mother' who gave life to us all: the Earth. And I even contemplated starting my own religion

I found nature religions at the age of 20 though, in the format of 'Wicca'. And at that point, I consciously started practising the Craft, as it's known. Looking back though, those influences, and the things I work with, have always been present in my life
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

ByMySword

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So why not Norse paganism then? (I know you answered this in Vent, but for those reading this thread).
    See, I do identify with Norse paganism more. It seems a more proper combination between Machiavellian philosophy and naturalistic pantheism. Do what you have to do to survive, but respect and honor for one's environment are key, as well as respect for one's enemy.

I identify with the Celts as well, since they were "barbarians" in the sense of the word as well. But my experiences with people in this country with those that identify with the Celts is that of an ancient hippie commune. All of the flare, none of the flavor. So I identify with the Norse part of my ancestry. Hippies.....but with weapons.

Odin, Thor, Freya, Heimdall, Tyr......why worship only one?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I've got to admit that many neo-Celtic pagans have a strong hippie vibe to them.
    Not so the real Celts The Morrigú! "Berserkers" and all sorts of crazy stuff.
    They basically got crushed because they got too civilized and prosperous by the more brutal romans, in the end.
    But... It's got a lot in common with Norse paganism.

I really like Odin. Or, Óðinn, as i'd like to call the guy.
    Knowledge is sort of my thing, too, and as such reflects me.
    I also happen to like war, wisdom and a bunch of stuff, not to mention ravens and wolves.
    And wandering, exploring.

Haven't really had any sort of experience with that, though.
    Although, I think perhaps it would be harder to identify.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come