User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Ginkgo

My ancestral lineage can be traced back to Scotland during the Scottish Wars of Independence, all the way to the gruff Picts and so on. This is interesting to me, though the term "Celtic" pertains mostly to Irish cultures, while Scotland is generally more Gaelic... though the Gaels are a subgroup of the Celts so I guess it doesn't matter. My direct family is mostly Fundamentalist Christian, and they sprung from their Presbyterian origins from Scotland after the reformation.

Honestly, I haven't heard of many people delving into the celtic religions, though they are quite fascinating and refreshing in comparison to the mainstream monotheisms. Inevitably, even those who are monotheistic have their own subjective visages of God, so even they are polytheistic if you think about it, especially when you see that Catholicism venerates saints as if they are gods themselves. And of course, the "trinity" is a scattershot God that diverges in a kind of polytheistic way.

And since people have their own interpretations of God, it's only fitting that the farmer prays to the god of the harvest, and the general prays to the god of war, and each one prays for their own sake. I wonder why.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh, Scotland is Celtic, alright.
    The Scotti were an Irish tribe who either drove the Picts out or blended with them.
    The picts themselves were a proto-Celtic people, from an earlier migration from mainland Europe.
    The Scots and the Irish both share an interchangeable language, two slightly different versions of the Gaelic Celtic Language.
    The other branch of the Celtic language family being Cymric, spoken in Wales, Bretagne and a few other places.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Not a moment too soon.

I can't wait for the input of Satine (Amargith) and a few others.
    I've done some "core shamanism" and find that the particular cultural lense that is most meaningful to me is "celtic". And to a lesser extent some general NA. I've been told that I was born in Ireland in my last life, I've been to Ireland and felt very comfortable/familiar there, and on some whatever level I feel affinity to like druidism and such.

Is that kinda what you are looking for?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I've done some "core shamanism" and find that the particular cultural lense that is most meaningful to me is "celtic". And to a lesser extent some general NA. I've been told that I was born in Ireland in my last life, I've been to Ireland and felt very comfortable/familiar there, and on some whatever level I feel affinity to like druidism and such.

Is that kinda what you are looking for?

That is part of what I am looking for, yes.
    Tell me about this "core shamanism". Interesting term.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

That is part of what I am looking for, yes.
    Tell me about this "core shamanism". Interesting term.
    Michael Harner is an anthropologist who studied shamanism, academically and experientially, and basically said "Hey, whenever we see shamanism in any culture around the world, its has a common core. Let's teach shamanism as this common core and let individuals pick whatever particular cultural affinity they want."

Here is his website: Shamanism:: Foundation for Shamanic Studies founded by Michael Harner
    and the wikipedia entry: Core Shamanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Thank you kindly, that is interesting.
    Makes me think of Wicca, though.
    That's a weird mix of everything if you want to and nothing if you don't want to go beyond "The Lord and Lady".

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Suscribed. when I get more time to read through all of this, I'll give my reply as well. I want it to be a decent one!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Ginkgo

Now, I hope some will find something they didn't already know there

Speaking of which. I'm a Cernunnos-guy. Lugh and the Morrigú to some extent.
    Anyone here who is sitting on a whole lot of uncommon knowledge about the deities?
    Any other Celtic deities, too.

I'd seriously like you to lecture a bit.
    Is it because he has the horns? Ahaha.

I used to play an old RPG that featured Hircine, the god of the hunt. I figured that image of the stag head was derived from a Celtic god, and I was correct!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

This thread brought up an interesting thought in my mind about the source of spirituality.

My father understands that humans are always seeking some sort of thing to believe in. Does this warp their minds to believe in some 'invisible power larger than them?'

Could it be based off of being created by something larger than them that wants them to find It for themselves?

Where do ideas like Cernunnos and other gods of any belief come from?

The culture of the area or reverse, where the god affects the culture of the area?
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^
    Carl Jung had his idea of "archetypes", "shadow", "anima/animus", and collective unconscious