MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    They shared what is roughly believed to be the same culture and many of the same deities.
    Although there are regional varieties, and they go under slightly different names.
    The Irish tradition is the one that have survived more intact than most due to relative isolation.
    The Romans never came to Hibernia, as it was called then, for starters, and Christianity didn't stomp everything else to pieces as bad as elsewhere.
    Then again, Ireland wasn't exactly the center of the Celtic world.

They have found a number of sites that indicate that Cernunnos worship was really important in Gaul.
    Gaul (France, parts of Italy, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg) was the center of the Celtic culture.
    If you'd like to know more about it, look at the "Barbarians" documentary series by Terry Jones.
    The episode you want is called "Barbarians - The primitive Celts".
    The name is ironic, and you are about to find out why.
    Cheers for that, very interesting. I have seen an episode or two of that series, the roman legions getting their arse handed to them by Persian horse archers I think it was.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Cheers for that, very interesting. I have seen an episode or two of that series, the roman legions getting their arse handed to them by Persian horse archers I think it was.
    Yeah. Under Crassus...
    That was a funny episode.
    The one about Dacians is good, too.
    And the Goths...
    But the Celt episode takes the prize. Really well-made.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

Look, we all know you're just a troll and I know you enjoy the drama and attention it all gives you to twist words and make people agitated.
    The mods can read my posts thus far on this forum, and determine my sincerity for themselves. Your very name trolls mainstream Christians, and you likely chose it precisely for that reason, but the staff here doesn't seem to mind.

Can you please leave my thread alone now?
    I want to sincerely discuss your new religion. As I indicated previously, I know several pagans in-person, but none are INTJs.

Have you studied or tried any Magick? There's no going to Church every week, but have you considered trying a new spell every few days? They really don't take much time at all, and are a more powerful form of prayer.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

No, someone I know called me her "own local Jesus Christ" because I did her a huge favor.
    I changed my nickname to YourLocalJesus on all the sites I was at back then, and it sort of stuck here, as I can't change it by myself and people know me by this name by now.
    Not in the intention to troll anyone.
    I get on famously with Christians and defend their rights as well as mine. Ask our leading preacher, Peguy.

No, no "magick".

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

eagleseven is banned from the thread.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Not a moment too soon.

I can't wait for the input of Satine (Amargith) and a few others.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

"The Primitive Celts" is a part of a documentary series by Terry Jones which I mentioned earlier in the thread.
    It is relevant in the sense that it makes you understand how much was lost, and just how civilized the old Celtic world actually was.
    Much unlike the picture described by the Romans, which became history-book standard until now, when archaeological discoveries disproves it.
    The big problem with the Celts is that they didn't write much at all.
    Thankfully, what we have was preserved in the British Isles and that coupled with archaeology and piecing the puzzle together gives us some idea of at least parts of the religion and culture.

[YOUTUBE="N9hAo8h2gYA"]The Primitive Celts Part 1/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="mIALRPCf-t4"]The Primitive Celts Part 2/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="2A250_1Sb4U"]The Primitive Celts Part 3/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="BUOew7wWnOA"]The Primitive Celts Part 4/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="B2FLMqJnDtY"]The Primitive Celts Part 5/6[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="DnZVIpvR2Uk"]The Primitive Celts Part 6/6[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Cool info! I'm Christian, but my ancestors are from the British Isles, Sweden, and Germany AFAIK and I'm a big fantasy buff, so I enjoy learning about this stuff. I'll be watching the videos you posted in either tonight after the kids go to bed or tomorrow while they are at school. Easier to concentrate then.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Cool info! I'm Christian, but my ancestors are from the British Isles, Sweden, and Germany AFAIK and I'm a big fantasy buff, so I enjoy learning about this stuff. I'll be watching the videos you posted in either tonight after the kids go to bed or tomorrow while they are at school. Easier to concentrate then.
    Oh, it is my favorite book nerd (positive!) and the first person to greet me on here almost three years ago, if I remember correctly

You'll enjoy the video. It's not celts vs. england or some such.
    This is at the peak of the Celtic civilization, when the Britons were indeed Celts.
    Incredibly civilized, at that. Many of the same tribes that inhabited mainland Gaul did indeed hold ground in the British Isles.
    Many Belgae (Belgian) tribes inhabited what is now England.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Now, I hope some will find something they didn't already know there

Speaking of which. I'm a Cernunnos-guy. Lugh and the Morrigú to some extent.
    Anyone here who is sitting on a whole lot of uncommon knowledge about the deities?
    Any other Celtic deities, too.

I'd seriously like you to lecture a bit.