User Tag List

First 678910 Last

The Bronze Age Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I thought this was going to be a thread about original sin. :disappoint:
    In the myth both Christ and his mother are free from Original Sin.

According to the myth Christ was not conceived through carnal desire.

And it is carnal desire that is seen as the Original Sin.

And it is the carnal desire for a woman that is a the Original Sin, for Eve tempted Adam.

And this is the basis for the misogynist myth.

Fortunately, "The Origin of Species", and the sequencing of the genome show us there was no Adam and Eve and so no Original Sin.

And if there is no Original Sin, there is no need for the blood sacrifice of Christ to his Father.

And at last we can start to wake up from this Bronze Age nightmare.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Jesus is just an idea like Victor is saying. I think he's right.

Good thread, Beat.

The actual jesus, if there was such a man, wasn't probably without sin, and was carnal.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram

For the record, when Jesus said: "He who is without sin, may cast the first stone," he didn't cast any stones. Suspicious for someone who is without sin...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Sin was also something different from impure thoughts to be honest or the experience of emotions/affects and impulses you know? Especially in his day, sin was something which could even be manifest in illness, this is why it was significant he was able to heal people, I mean out of that context it could appear like he was little more than an itinerant healer and philosopher.

BTW in the passage where he asks those without sin to cast the first stone he states that he will not condemn the woman either when the others all go away, so he could have but choose not to (there is the Irish joke that he said "Ma, put that stone down" first because if you remember his mother was supposedly without sin too).

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    BTW in the passage where he asks those without sin to cast the first stone he states that he will not condemn the woman either when the others all go away, so he could have but choose not to.
    It was a cop out. Uh....I am without sin, I just don't wanna. Funny Irish joke though.

I don't think it's important whether or not he is without sin, he's a symbol to me not the actual son of God. The Queen is the head of the U.K. but she has no actual power because as an individual she is just a normal person, she wasn't appointed by God or anything. Her importance is largely symbolic. You might argue Jesus has more symbolic importance than Elizabeth, and I would be inclined to agree, which is why she doesn't have as big of a jurisdiction as Jesus.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Was he actually a carnal man, as you or I am?
    I think that he desired women if that is what you mean. But at the same time I think he was more concerned with helping the women around him, rather than simply getting his rocks off.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Romans 8:1-14

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,[a] 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature,[b] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in sinful man,[d] 4in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

5Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man[e] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind[f] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.[g] And by him we cry, "Abba,[h] Father." 16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

My interpretation of the nature of Christ is that he is of sin in the sense that man is inherently sinful and He was born as a son/offspring of man, but a man who's spirit is God Himself. He is just like every other man except His spirit is entirely righteous (acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin) meaning His death and divine resurrection equalized the sins of all humanity in terms of God's law. In "God's courtroom", there must be total justice, but if we plead on behalf of Luke 23:34 (Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.") i.e. admit our ignorance/sin, recognize Jesus as God and a worthy sacrifice for our sin, and accept this forgiveness then the penalty of death (eternal) is waived.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    His spirit is entirely righteous (acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin)
    What is interesting is that the myth teaches us, that not only He was free from Original Sin, but his Mother was also free from Original Sin.

The Queen of Austalia

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    The Queen is the head of the U.K. but she has no actual power because as an individual she is just a normal person, she wasn't appointed by God
    I remember Elizabeth being ordained by God in Westminster Cathedral.

And for sixty years Elizabeth Regina has regarded herself as ordained.

And indeed Queen Elizabeth II is the ordained Queen of Australia.

And in 1999 all Australians, except for one small territory, voted to keep Elizabeth as the ordained Queen of Australia.