First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Nebbykoo: I congratulate you!

Coriolis: I feel it's unnecessary to talk about He or She when we talk about God. It seems completely extraneous to the conversation and puts an emphasis on something that doesn't belong. I know this is a feminist issue and I understand and to some extent agree with the ideas about gender equality being reflected in authoritative texts, but if we're really going to talk about God, God has no gender. And to me it's important to find common ground to talk about God, rather than reasons to criticize other religions. So this insistence on a divine feminine being represented in the Christian church (or any other) seems to me to be a red herring. Also to the extent the female is represented in the Catholic church, with all respect, that is not my idea of the perfect woman, either, so I don't especially see it as an improvement over no female figurehead at all.

But again, to anthropomorphise God to such an extent seems to me to somewhat miss the point.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The excluded writings to which I refer appear to have been written well within the first century, and thus significantly predate the "canonization" of the Bible. These include gnostic writings, and the texts in the "Nag Hammadi library" that came to light only in the last century, such as the gospel of Mary (Magdalene), and the gospel of Thomas. The latter contains what is probably the oldest recorded account of words Jesus actually said; predates the 4 gospels of the Bible; and is credited as a source for the gospels of Matthew and Luke.
    The Gnostic texts generally date from the second century onwards. The Nag Hammadi texts themselves date from the third and fourth centuries, and they did not have much of a wider impact on the Christian world, as partially can be seen by the fact they weren't mentioned at all by Church Councils when determining the Biblical canon.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    You're so right.

It does boggle the mind that seeming-rational people still want to argue about the minutia of a fairytale. I feel fortunate to have been spared this delusional state by my parents.
    It would appear, then, that you put no stock in the logical premise outlined in the thread title, and therefore the discussion herein would be of no significance to you. Which does lead one to wonder... why are you posting in the thread, if not to ridicule other forum members?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It would appear, then, that you put no stock in the logical premise outlined in the thread title, and therefore the discussion herein would be of no significance to you. Which does lead one to wonder... why are you posting in the thread, if not to ridicule other forum members?

I stated my opinion. Feel free to ignore it, if that is the highest imperative here. But know that I am not in awe of your illogic.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I stated my opinion. Feel free to ignore it, if that is the highest imperative here. But know that I am not in awe of your illogic.
    Nobody cares
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Oberon

So are you ridiculing other posters on this thread, or not? Or does my question represent a bifurcation fallacy?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Which does? The Catholic point of view, or the Protestant one?
    The Catholic. I'm still not entirely sure how 'sin' or moral actions and their consequences play a roll in Catholicism. For instance, do you need direct forgiveness from God for your actions? Do you compensate for your sins with good deeds like charity? It's almost like, to Protestants, you are only free to do evil. Meanwhile, both good and bad deeds are incorporated into the notion of free will for Catholics. It also seems as if Catholics use a mixture of scripture, tradition, and reason to derive their concept of sin, while Protestants are more affirmative about the Bible and it's view on sin, particularly the NT, which was exceptional because Jesus was teaching forgiveness in a time of ridicule and rigid traditional roles. He ate with all the wrong people. Talked with prostitutes washed people's feet, etc. I know it doesn't sound like much but at the time it was a major reformation.

The fact that some Protestants really only consider the Bible as the only canonical text gives them appearance of disregarding the events that took place after the 1st Century, the formation of the Catholic/Orthodox Churches in Rome, etc. Also gives them the appearance of not knowing... well, much else, not unlike myself.

Sniffles

In fairness, many of the mainline Protestant churches do pay homage to the Church Fathers, especially St. Augustine of Hippo. I think it's more a certain strain of Evangelicals who take Sola scriptura rather literally.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    In fairness, many of the mainline Protestant churches do pay homage to the Church Fathers, especially St. Augustine of Hippo. I think it's more a certain strain of Evangelicals who take Sola scriptura rather literally.
    In my experience in NI its every protestant congregation besides the Church of Ireland and the Church of England which practice solo scriptura, they tend to see the RCC church as evil because it is "unbiblical", to me I'd be embarrassed if my entire faith could be explained away as a brief but explosive reaction to mass publishing.

Sniffles

Well that maybe in regards to NI, I'm referring however to say Lutherans and Prebysterians at the very least.