User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 66

  1. #11
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    If someone is going to be religious for the sole purpose of escaping Hell as a fate, then they totally fail the point of religion.

    However it also works the other way around. Being religious has many emotional benefits that are potentially attractive to many people. "I don't believe in Hell" or "I don't like taking responsibility for my future" probably isn't much of a buffer from making people want to enter religion, considering these benefits. What makes more sense to me is that many people simply aren't interested in these benefits, or they fulfill these benefits with other means in their lives.

    I hope this was an appropriate contribution to the OP question.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

  2. #12
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    When you refer to hell, do you refer to it as a literal sort of fire and brimstone place or more of a state of mind/being?
    Hell is plainly a metaphor. We have explored the world from the quantum atom to the expanding universe and find no evidence of Hell.

    Unfortunately Hell has been used to frighten us into obedience.

    The beginning of wisdom, we are told, is the fear of God.

    And this God is the God of child abusers.

  3. #13
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    If someone is going to be religious for the sole purpose of escaping Hell as a fate, then they totally fail the point of religion.
    Within Catholicism this is called "imperfect contrition". Perfect contrition is when you're religious or repentent out of love for God.

  4. #14
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Hell is plainly a metaphor. We have explored the world from the quantum atom to the expanding universe and find no evidence of Hell.

    Unfortunately Hell has been used to frighten us into obedience.

    The beginning of wisdom, we are told, is the fear of God.

    And this God is the God of child abusers.
    The science of today is always what people accept as truth. But what about science and discovery of hundreds of years ago? As a scientific truth to them, the world was flat. What is true is, that science is always developing and new discoveries are constantly being made to keep changing the ways that we saw and thought of the Earth and universe from our previous notions.

    The thing is, most people simply accept these scientific truths via knowledge that they accumulate from outside sources. Very few people experience sources of information first-hand.

    To this extent, "science" is very much like "religion".
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

  5. #15
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Actually no scientist or otherwise educated person since the 3rd century BC thought the world was flat.

  6. #16
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Actually no scientist or otherwise educated person since the 3rd century BC thought the world was flat.
    Lol, well, you know what I mean. They had other beliefs like believing that you could magically cause mice and frogs to appear out of nowhere by putting dirty laundry on their floor.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

  7. #17
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    No I understood your point, just wanted to correct you on that.

  8. #18
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    To this extent, "science" is very much like "religion".
    Yes, this is a question of authority.

    So it is a question of which authority is more reasonable.

    Science is based on evidence and reason, while religion is based on blind faith.

    And in the 17th and 18th Centuries blind faith was replaced by the Enlightenment.

  9. #19
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    "Reason directs those who are truly pious and philosophical to honour and love only what is true, declining to follow traditional opinions, if these be worthless. For not only does sound reason direct us to refuse the guidance of those who did or taught anything wrong, but it is incumbent on the lover of truth, by all means, and if death be threatened, even before his own life, to choose to do and say what is right."
    -Justin Martyr



  10. #20
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    What is appealing about being reasonable?

    Furthermore, what is the definition of "reason"?

    What is appealing about following faith?

    What is the definition of a faithful or religious methodology?

    I would like to see someone define and then compare these things. I wonder what we can learn from this comparison.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 06:34 AM
  2. The meaning and consequence of Cognitive Preference....
    By KDJ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM
  3. Implications and consequences of an atheist society
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM
  4. Punishment and Consequences
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO