User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you have an inner monologue? What is it like?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (and describe if you can)

40 83.33%
  • No, I'm all alone in my own head

4 8.33%
  • Something else!

5 10.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Cool Do you have an inner monologue? What is it like?

Do you have an inner monologue? I had always thought they were universal, that everyone has themselves talking in their head.. like a voice over, or a second "me" that we can hear.

It comments on our lives and shares them with us, it's us, and not us.

Do you have one? What is it like? Is this an "introvert" thing?

Mine : INTP
    What's it like : Like a second voice.. usually rational but occasional emotional, screaming at me.
    Is it always there : YES!

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Mine: INFJ
    What it sounds like: A very monotone adult voice that I think I'd sound like at age 35 or older.
    What it says: It narrates what I am doing and how I really feel. All the words and phrases I cannot verbalize, my inner voice over is saying in my head. It is my true self
    Also - I never view my life in my head from my own perspective. I always view it from the perspective of the person I'm in love with at that point's perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yes. All. The. Time. Mine almost always says movie lines that correspond with the situation.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Phantonym

I've always thought that it's universal as well.

Yes, I do have inner monologues. Well, technically, I am all alone in my head since it's my own voice that won't shut up. Most of the time it's horribly self-absorbed, all about me, me, me; commenting on my own reactions to either internal or external stimuli. Occasionally, when it manages to break free from the ego loop, it won't shut up about the rest of the world. Other times there's fighting, it's like one part of me takes a firm stance on some issue and another part argues against it. It's like piecing together an intricate puzzle and in order to do so, there has to be more than one sides of "me" while in reality I'm still all alone in my head. I hope any of this makes sense.

And yes, it has been and presumably always will be THERE.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

All the time. The credits never stop rolling. And a lot of the times, I bring the monologue outside and I just keep talking to myself like whomever I'm speaking to is in the room. It's all very weird. I guess I think better when I talk, my thoughts become more clear to me, and so I reason out loud.

But that's a little different from another type of inner monologue, the commentator or the unconscious self that brings things into the light by voicing it inside my head, without me even thinking about it/noticing it, consciously. Maybe that's ones constant perception, sometimes feeling like it needs to comment on some things. Heck do I know.

totally.

ENFP
    It is like a second voice. My musings/ponderings/wonderings on a topic in my mind tend to be almost sub-vocal-like a babbling brook or like humming a tune. "Hmmmm, hmmmm, nananana,hmmmmmm....." But once a subject is up for a decision, I distinctly have a voice.

It sets up an inner conversation. Like it takes Te and Fi and trades sides back and forth, weighing the options. It is never highly emotional oddly.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I have no proper inner monologue. I mostly think in images (or video simulation). Basically imagination. However, I do speak to myself many times. I would say the inner monologue only comes up when I converse with people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Hell Yes!

It's the opposite me. Everything I say; he doesn't say. Everything I don't say, he says it. It basically screams out the other side.

So when I think of 'I'm the coolest' the voice will go 'Yea right, look at yourself in the mirror.'

Basically it degrades me. It really doesn't have a specific tone though..

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Hmmm... I would really like to know how this works for all the people who've answered yes to this question. Whose is the voice? Does it sound like your own, coming directly from your own consciousness, or more like a separate personality or other entity providing a commentary from outside? I'm getting a sense of both here so far. Maybe it's different for different people.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    It sets up an inner conversation. Like it takes Te and Fi and trades sides back and forth, weighing the options. It is never highly emotional oddly.
    Yes, exactly, it is about weighing the options, picking things apart and looking at them from different angles to get a good overview. For me it can get very emotional, an inner battle so to speak.