User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I am patient and kind with those who are less tolerant, as the best way to teach is through example... I've met plenty of close minded people who became more open when they were exposed to what was different in a non-threatening manner... even my grandfather softened up when he made a few friends of different races. Patience and kindess are the greatest weapons against intolerance... sometimes the patience means waiting until they die, of course

I'm from a small, insular and intolerant community, though it somehow never sunk in... I went to the same university as several of my close minded classmates and had to smirk when I noticed that they were actually becoming more tolerant of that which is different through exposure to nice people who were different... most of those people have moved home, several with spouses of very different backgrounds and their children will be more open minded than the generation before... it's a slow process, but it happens

and in thinking about the present- there's actions that you could do right now that could make a difference- too many people put off to tommorrow what they could do today... that attitude irks me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I know that is very vague argument since I am delibaretly making very wide argument.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't kill the massager." ?

Ok instead of waiting for Lark to say "Yes" I will simply point at what it is actually bothering me. However I think that it is not simple as it looks.

Link

I am I the only one here who thinks this is a very serious problem ?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Ok instead of waiting for Lark to say "Yes" I will simply point at what it is actually bothering me. However I think that it is not simple as it looks.

Link

I am I the only one here who thinks this is a very serious problem ?

Nope, over-population is a big problem which must be solved.
    Either through relatively peaceful methods, i.e what China is trying to do.
    Or, people needs to start dying. I for one thinks this is a sign that things can't be like they are now.
    It's simply not stable.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

well, that's why people should be more tolerant of homosexuals... they generally DON'T reproduce

I just think it's crazy for anyone to feel superior enough to decide who to weed out and who is of value- that's a really shitty attitude to have towards anything
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Nope, over-population is a big problem which must be solved.
    Either through relatively peaceful methods, i.e what China is trying to do.
    Or, people needs to start dying. I for one thinks this is a sign that things can't be like they are now.
    It's simply not stable.

Well this threand is what caused me alot of my ability to empathise. I am studing the Earth as a system professionally and unproffesionally for over 20 years now and I can't find a way how have global stability even in most general lines with this trend.

I deliberatly pushed "Why do you believe in peace and tolerance" before I said what is really on my mind. Which is because I think that people are vastly underestimate this trend and I wanted to see the contrast between me and others.

I mean this trend undermines huge amount of stuff from global stability and productivity to philosophy and ethics.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I see the point, and I have been thinking along similar lines for some time.
    I think it is a major issue that people cannot see the whole picture, link the patterns, twist around the idea inside the head from a bunch of angles and simply acknowledge something they don't like.
    Sort of like Creationists, you know?

Well. It does undermine the views on most things quite throughly.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    well, that's why people should be more tolerant of homosexuals... they generally DON'T reproduce

I just think it's crazy for anyone to feel superior enough to decide who to weed out and who is of value- that's a really shitty attitude to have towards anything
    I agree. But that just seems to be the cherry on the cake in this case.

When you watch it like this it does not look so bad. But I advise people too do a little test. Before you go to sleep write down a number that is on your screen and go to sleep. So when you wake up take another look at what you have on your screen. Also you can do this with a week or a month of pausing.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I was suspiscious something like this was behind it, the whole Earth Firster sympathy for war, famine, disease and population control, its all misplaced, there could be thousands of individuals born to low, low impact, self-sufficient communities and it wouldnt matter, what's the problem is the unsustainability of western consumerism and its spread as the ideal to the rest of the world.

For every full grown obesce western consumer there could be entire families, even villages, living well in the third world for the same resources and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was suspiscious something like this was behind it, the whole Earth Firster sympathy for war, famine, disease and population control, its all misplaced, there could be thousands of individuals born to low, low impact, self-sufficient communities and it wouldnt matter, what's the problem is the unsustainability of western consumerism and its spread as the ideal to the rest of the world.

For every full grown obesce western consumer there could be entire families, even villages, living well in the third world for the same resources and money.

True. (as far as I know)

However I am not bothered that much that I will have to deal with the problem. I am more concered with the fact that the problem will deal with us.
    In other words the problem will solve itself out in most likey scenario.

Here is one sattelite picture of China.

So if we know that this is the consequence of the ideal know as the economic growth of 10% then it is complety reasonable to ask "Is society capable of making their own choices" ? Or maybe they simply lack the infornation and proper education ?

Plus you have a problem that Whatever mentioned which is that who I am to make judgments and force people what to do? What is legitimite democratic additude. However the freedom don't seem to have a positive effect in this case.

So what should we ? Ignore the problem or becoming undemocratic?
    Since this is the dilema of our time as it looks for now.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

this is why some of us

<--

like to advocate opening a lot more family planning clinics with free birth control and sex ed classes worldwide... It's a lot cheaper than building more nukes AND is better on the planet