First 56789 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    So from other threads I gather that you don't believe the bible is inerrant. The thing is if you don't believe the bible is authoritative and that the state should be in subjection to God than what is your alternative?

Where does law come from? If it doesn't come from God than it has to come from the state. Then the state becomes a God unto unto itself incapable of doing wrong... if this is the case the Nuremberg trials should have never happened because what the nazis did was legal because there is no higher authority to turn to in order to condemn people who commit genocide that is endorsed by the state.
    Eat more Nihilism pie.

Ultimately though non-Christians already hate God, I don't take any of the blame for people who feel pushed away from my religion. Anyway, people aren't saved by politics or apologetics they are saved supernaturally through the the work of the spirit and normally that occurs through relationships irl.
    Not all non-Christians hate god. I don't hate it, as I believe it doesn't exist.

Finally. I'm conservative... not progressive. I'm not the one trying to legislate morality. It's the left that's trying to legislate their own brand of morality and redefine the place of government in society. I'm on defense, not offense.
    a) By supporting it, you help it get passed, etc.

b) I has pie.

Well that's just it I believe that the federal government should cater to Christianity in a broad sense. That's the way the country started. Separation of Church and state was a federal/state issue. They allowed states to set up there own religions.

No, I don't have a special privilege... its the left that think they have a special privilege. I'm willing to work trough the democratic process and try to convince people. On the other hand the left want to use tyranny. The Left supports judicial activism. If the american people decide that abortion should be legal than by all means go through the democratic process and get legislation or amendments past. But, instead of having the people decide the issue 9 people who were never elected determined the future of millions of unborn children... that is tyranny.
    LOL. Let's see what comes next... I KNOW WHAT'S COMING NEXT!

I try to be consistent. I believe in majoritarianism... our political system is based on it. If I felt that my fundamental rights were being violate I would do what Christians for 500 years have been doing... I would revolt or leave.
    Yep, Majoritarianism.

Ok, I'm done reading. I have nothing of value to offer.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Yep, Majoritarianism.
    well, majoritarianism with the constraints of a constitution, and separation of powers, and a bicameral legislature among other things.

Though often what is done in the name of pluralism is really just the tyranny of the minority.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

well, majoritarianism with the constraints of a constitution, and separation of powers, and a bicameral legislature among other things.
    Nice save-ish.

Among other things = The Big J.C.? We can't rule that out either.

Though often what is done in the name of pluralism is really just the tyranny of the minority.
    On a side note here... It's so... Meh... When someone edits their posts. Y'know what I mean?

Also, what? I must be missing something because that seemed off-topic.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ooooodddd.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    On a side note here... It's so... Meh... When someone edits their posts. Y'know what I mean?
    Sorry, it was 4am here. I forget there is a world audience and other insomniacs out there... I had thought nobody would notice.

Also, what? I must be missing something because that seemed off-topic.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ooooodddd.
    I was being preemptive. When folks argue against majoritarian rule they typically appeal to pluralism as a justification for allowing the minority's preference to prevail.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ Would this satisfy christian homosexual couples I wonder?
    There are churches that accept and have no issues with gay people. They would even officiate the wedding. I'd hope that a gay religious couple would seek a place like this if they want a religious ceremony, instead of asking a conservative church that isn't accepting to do so instead.

I think a majority conservative church has the right to not want or have gay people in their congregation, but those views shouldn't determine law.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Being a homosexual is hard. I don't mind being a homosexual, but I do mind what the people around me treat me because I am one. I don't even know what the hell is going to happen in my life; I'm an only child. It'll be a devastation to my parents when I tell them. It'll be one for myself as well. I don't even know if I can handle complicated business like this.
    Dude,
    Some times parents take it surprisingly well. I made light of a difficult situation, I know it can be agonising. I'm just not all that sure why. It's not like you changed personalities or some thing. Maybe I'm just incrediably accepting?
    Here's a tip though, no-one knows what's gonna happen in life, chook, but you can't live a lie either to keep every one happy.
    It will be hard, but if you can wait until you have independence from your parents, it tends to go smoother. I had several friends come out to thier parents with varying results, so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you guys are close, it won't be a surprise though.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I think a majority conservative church has the right to not want or have gay people in their congregation, but those views shouldn't determine law.
    Geez... conservative churches should want to have LGBT folks attending their services. Interactions at picket lines are less likely to lead to conversion.

MBTI
    INxJ

Geez... conservative churches should want to have LGBT folks attending their services. Interactions at picket lines are less likely to lead to conversion.
    That would be nice, but it's idealistic. Conservatives have the right to believe as they do. Freedom of religion. They should be allowed to have churches where they feel comfortable. I don't see what the problem with that is.

My only issue with it as a gay woman, is that when it comes to changing the law to fit their beliefs it crosses the line.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    My only issue with it as a gay woman, is that when it comes to changing the law to fit their beliefs it crosses the line.
    changing what law?

MBTI
    INxJ

changing what law?
    Gay marriage in California.