User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Jaguar- Lifestyle can have a positive connotation... remember robin leach!
    Not in this case. I've read your posts.
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.

5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Also, I tend to stick to theological arguments cuz that's what I'm comfortable arguing. Honestly, I don't know that much about the actual societal impacts. Public policy isn't really my thing... I've only gained interest in the last year. You might not like the polcy arguments I did make, but if you've argued this topic with conservative christians you know I've actually been reserved in the claims I'm willing to make. The thing is... I'm kinda busy and unless somehow I find the time to sort through all the bias research on both sides or somehow find a organization, not focus on the family, that has reliable research I'm gonna have a hard time maintaining that side of the argument.

So yeah. I guess in summation. I do not have public policy arguments right now that are convincing enough for anyone that is informed and deeply in favor of same-sex marriage.

So the only leg I have to stand on, at this point, is theological. Or as anyone opposed to my view would put it "the bible says so." I'm not ashamed of that. Frankly I can't think of a better reason to support or oppose something other than the "bible says so."
    I really haven't been arguing against having a biblically-based faith or beliefs, so I apologize if my posts came cross as denigrating. I was arguing that religious reasons are not sufficient justification for laws in the eyes of our legal system.

And, if I am not a part of your target audience, I can't help but hope you'll still listen and consider. Perhaps I'm trying to reach, on some level, members of my own family who I know are good people, but whom I feel do a disservice to me and other gay and lesbian people. There is real hurt on both side suffered by people of good intent. I can't help but view it as preventable.