• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensors and Mindfulness

gromit

likes this
So I was thinking about this as I was falling asleep recently (either in my bed or on the train, can't recall)... the principle or concept of mindfulness... I suspect that Sensors might naturally have a better handle on it.

I don't want to be stereotyping though.

gromit

likes this
I added a link to the OP.

Side note: I particularly liked the quote toward the end of the article...

We should always try to be active coming out of samadhi. For this, we have to forget things like "I should be mindful of this or that". If you are mindful, you are already creating a separation ("I - am - mindful - of - ...."). Don't be mindful, please! When you walk, just walk. Let the walk walk. Let the talk talk (Dogen Zenji says: "When we open our mouths, it is filled with Dharma"). Let the eating eat, the sitting sit, the work work. Let sleep sleep.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Maybe more of an ISP or SP thing. SJs tend to be on missions, all the time, from what I've noticed. Clear purpose to their actions.

Lark

In what way do you mean mindfulnes? The buddhist or Zen sense? Its pretty complicated, particularly to a western mind and I'm convinced that the essential truths dont travel well and much is lost in translation, besides mindfulness there's two other concepts which accompany it which are often ommitted which are wakefulness and watchfulness.

Often when people in the west think of mindfulness they are thinking of the state of "no mind" or overcoming over cerebration, ie getting out of your head, not over thinking, bridging the mind body dichotomy which exists massively in the western psyche. So perhaps it could be considered that a particular type would have advantage or greater fortune, however they would have to strive less, therefore could not experience the same satisfaction with success or progress.

There is a western sense of this word, neuro-psychology has developed a common language with much of zen too but the meanings are a little different, an attachment and attunement meaning of mindfulness would entail the extent to which someone has developed a comprehension of others thoughts and likely reactions on the basis of an internalised "theory of mind" which has then become hard wired.

In the later western sense no type would have greater or lesser fortune in mindfulness, its a matter of genetic inheritance and family cultural acting in a deterministic fashion upon the growing individual.

gromit

likes this
Yeah I meant the Zen/Buddhist sense. I didn't realize there was a neuro-psychology definition. Tell me about wakefulness and watchfulness. I have never heard of the distinction before...

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Mindfulness is fine and dandy, but why ought it to be the unquestioned objective?

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I guess it was me mistakenly reading between the lines, then. ;)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I added a link to the OP.

Side note: I particularly liked the quote toward the end of the article...

My son asked me one day, why cant I stop thinking about something. I told him something along the lines that as long as he is trying to stop he will always have a validation in his mind that leads back to the thought.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By observing the thought, without engaging...it simply disolves.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By observing the thought, without engaging...it simply disolves.

Strangely the same thing happens with feelings. Its like tredging through a swamp not focused on the swamp, but just observing as you walk down your path of thought. Or like walking through a forest as it moves from bright to dark not fearing it, just observing what it is that is present while you walk down the path.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Strangely the same thing happens with feelings. Its like tredging through a swamp not focused on the swamp, but just observing as you walk down your path of thought. Or like walking through a forest as it moves from bright to dark not fearing it, just observing what it is that is present while you walk down the path.

ah, yes, the middle pathway of the warrior. It comes to a certain variety of sensors quite naturally.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
to the OP... I'm very in tune with my body, which may explain some of my less savory actions :blush: however, I constantly keep a running commentary of what I'm doing in my head... like narration on Whatever TV or something... I suppose if I worked on it I could shut it up, but I really don't find it to be much of a distraction :cheese:

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
So I was thinking about this as I was falling asleep recently (either in my bed or on the train, can't recall)... the principle or concept of mindfulness... I suspect that Sensors might naturally have a better handle on it.

I don't want to be stereotyping though.

My guess is that if you do that kind of thing a lot (mindfulness, not stereotyping), ;) for whatever reason, you might eventually find yourself testing as a sensor, horrors. :shock:

:)

But maybe I'm completely wrong.

gromit

likes this

Sounds a little like the Fi thread as well...