User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Yeah, I'm not predictable or anything...

Note to self: working on being less predictable...

Back to the thread though, any takers on the Navy SEAL idea??? maybe a really good blacksmith or other such kind of artisan?
    Why?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

i would say a forest ranger could have the inherent discipline for that title. need a better idea of roughly what that is. perhaps a marathoner, even if s/he is not from the west.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I suppose I could have said Taoist imortal or Taoist Monk but there were western monks and western saints could have the same miraculous powers as the Taoist imortals, I mean it in the historical and philosophical senses I suppose, possibly, or maybe even the function too.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    i would say a forest ranger could have the inherent discipline for that title. need a better idea of roughly what that is. perhaps a marathoner, even if s/he is not from the west.
    :confused:

Some, umm, interesting suggestions accruing here. I'm begining to wonder if anyone knows what Zen actually is... Oh well, keep 'em coming!

*where the hell is Wildcat when you need him?*

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I suppose I could have said Taoist imortal or Taoist Monk but there were western monks and western saints could have the same miraculous powers as the Taoist imortals, I mean it in the historical and philosophical senses I suppose, possibly, or maybe even the function too.
    If I'm understanding your position correctly, Victor may be on the right track when referring to mysticism; you seem to be looking at several different aspects of the many possible, with cultural role and philosophical similarity being the most important. The first example that springs to mind as something directly comparable is not exactly Western, but the Sufi tradition of Islam. The tendency of Christianity to rely on scripture and dogma, and the somewhat different (ie penitential) purpose of asceticism, together with the complete domination of Christianity over western culture until very recently, makes it very difficult for me to think of anything to really compare. It seems a little too facile to simply lump monastic ascetics and mystics together as a rough equivalent when there are so many differences in outlook. I might have a think about it though.

The Quaker movement is actually rather similar in many ways - I think it's entirely possible to be simultaneously a Quaker and a Zen buddhist with no real contradiction of philosophy or practice (though the underlying beliefs are different in some respects, of course), and Quakerism has had quite a strong historical influence on our culture despite its relatively small membership. It's the best I can come up with right now.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    :confused:

Some, umm, interesting suggestions accruing here. I'm begining to wonder if anyone knows what Zen actually is... Oh well, keep 'em coming!

*where the hell is Wildcat when you need him?*
    Oh wait, you're not one of those people who is bursting to tell everyone you know more than them?

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Oh wait, you're not one of those people who is bursting to tell everyone you know more than them?
    I know I know nuttin' much. But at least I know what I don't know, as opposed to those who don't know what they don't know, and therefore think they know.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

What is the western equivalent of a Zen Master?
    Good question. I am imagining a grandmother of the old times. Sitting in a rocking chair knitting. Yeah, I know it isn't exactly perfect...

Timothy Leary
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I'm begining to wonder if anyone knows what Zen actually is...
    Have you come up with a description or definition that can be put into words?