User Tag List

123 Last

Default Does God guide people to find or rescue others?

Does God guide people to find or rescue others? Have you experienced or witnessed this type of divine guidance yourself?

Is it possible to distinguish between divine guidance, human intuition, probability, and luck in these cases?

Here's a recent example:

From God 'led me directly' to girl lost in swamp, Florida rescuer says - CNN.com

The man who rescued an 11-year-old girl lost in a dense Florida swamp said Wednesday that God led him directly to her, and that finding her was no surprise.
    "I didn't know where she was. The only person who knew where she was was God, and I asked him, and he led me directly to her, straight -- well, as straight as you can go through the swamp."

King said he prayed the whole time he was searching, even when it seemed like he was going in the wrong direction. In one case, he said, there was water all around and he didn't know where to go.

"He said, 'Go that way.' And I'm looking at water. I said, 'Lord, are you sure?' He said. 'I got ya.' And as soon as I start walking, the ground under the water is solid. It's only about a foot and a half deep. He took care of me all the way there."
    Last edited by JAVO; 04-14-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added more to quote

I think anyone who seriously believes people are guided by God is nuts.

God doesn't guide people: God has a TomTom portable GPS system.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Maybe. Then again it might be the Devil. I have a slight rescuer complex and usually often I just learn that no good deed goes unpunished.

Also I have looked into my psyche and feel that being a rescuer is not as self sacrificing as it may seem. It is a bit of a facade and a demonstration of self absorption.

That being said I have been in life and death situations and prayed to God and from Him or from wherever got what felt like temporary super powers in order to accomplish remarkable things.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTx

People like to think they're special. Like they have the batphone to God. It's easy to convince yourself that something mystical must have been helping when the stars align and you find something, or survive something, or get a surge of adrenaline and do something you normally couldn't.

If he had wandered in circles for a few hours and didn't find her he would've shrugged it off. There certainly wouldn't have been a headline - GOD FAILS TO GUIDE MAN TO RESCUE. Or we'd have thousands of these daily.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I was lost once and a woman came to find me who had been sound asleep. She said she got a message to get up and get in her car and drive, and she did, and she saw me, and she knew I was the reason she'd been "told" to get up. On the other end, I had been praying for a way out of the neighborhood I had mistakenly walked into in the middle of the night, lost.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Maybe. Then again it might be the Devil. I have a slight rescuer complex and usually often I just learn that no good deed goes unpunished.

Also I have looked into my psyche and feel that being a rescuer is not as self sacrificing as it may seem. It is a bit of a facade and a demonstration of self absorption.

That being said I have been in life and death situations and prayed to God and from Him or from wherever got what felt like temporary super powers in order to accomplish remarkable things.
    Its not always self absorption, sometimes doing the right thing is just doing the right thing. Sure I would feel guilty if I passed by someone who needed help, but that doesnt mean I help people because I fear guilt.

And I find via my insane amount of Fe that its much easier for me to empathize with the people around me, then it is to empathize with my self or my own needs. How is that self absorption?

And good deeds being punished is a poor excuse to not do good deeds, I hand cash out to the homeless for example KNOWING that some of them are scam artists, but thats not whats relevant, whats relevant is that the right thing is done on my end, thats all I can control.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My completely unsubstantiated theory: that guy, by centering himself in a prayer state, was able to tune into his intuition and follow her trail without really realizing it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Is it possible to distinguish between divine guidance, human intuition, probability, and luck in these cases?
    Divine guidance is probably similar to a type of intuition, but not necessarily in the MBTI sense. Like how Ivy explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My completely unsubstantiated theory: that guy, by centering himself in a prayer state, was able to tune into his intuition and follow her trail without really realizing it.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I could certainly accept that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Still doesn't mean that God didn't give the dude the super intuition in the first place.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"