User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Still doesn't mean that God didn't give the dude the super intuition in the first place.
    If there is a God, and if prayer is something that God wants us to do, IMO it's probably because it's built into our physiology to be a way to strengthen ourselves to ride out rough times and tune into our intuition for guidance, not because it's a magical lifeline to the almighty. Either way, it's built in, whether by random mutations that offer a survival advantage or by divine intervention (or both). But none of that is provable or unprovable so IMO it's not really relevant. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I cant believe Ivys explanation that his hieghtened sense of intuition through a state of prayer enabled him to follow a trail through a SWAMP. I would be hard pressed to even believe an expert woodsman could follow a trail through a swamp, especially once the guy said he had to go through "foot deep water". You dont leave a trail in water as far as i know. Yeah broken reeds and sticks and stuff ok yes. But it would take the expert woodsman to distinguish a reed that was broken by human interaction and that of say...a snake.

Of course being agnostic im hard pressed to believe in the truth of "prayer" and all that anyways. But like Ivy also said, you cant really prove it either.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    I used my batphone to God and He says 3 angels can dance on the head of a pin...but that the real question is what dance moves are they making.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

they're all doing the robot. God done tole me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    they're all doing the robot. God done tole me.
    ***Spamtar having an 'Ah-ha' moment***

I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Selection/confirmation bias, I'm sure there are hundreds (thousands?) of would be rescuers that prayed to god and didn't find who they were looking for.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

That depends on which version of God you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Spinoza believed God exists only philosophically and that God was abstract and impersonal.[1] Spinoza's system imparted order and unity to the tradition of radical thought, offering powerful weapons for prevailing against "received authority." As a youth he first subscribed to Descartes's dualistic belief that body and mind are two separate substances, but later changed his view and asserted that they were not separate, being a single identity. He contended that everything that exists in Nature (i.e., everything in the Universe) is one Reality (substance) and there is only one set of rules governing the whole of the reality which surrounds us and of which we are part. Spinoza viewed God and Nature as two names for the same reality,[11] namely the single substance (meaning "that which stands beneath" rather than "matter") that is the basis of the universe and of which all lesser "entities" are actually modes or modifications, that all things are determined by Nature to exist and cause effects, and that the complex chain of cause and effect is only understood in part. His identification of God with nature was more fully explained in his posthumously published Ethics
    I'm inclined to agree in which case everything is guided by God.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I think anyone who seriously believes people are guided by God is nuts.

God doesn't guide people: God has a TomTom portable GPS system.
    I think people who believe people who are guided by God are nuts are really nuts themselves and projecting. Badly.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Selection/confirmation bias, I'm sure there are hundreds (thousands?) of would be rescuers that prayed to god and didn't find who they were looking for.
    I'm interested in this, yes, I do believe there is such a thing as confirmation bias and yes it is a problem in many people and in bad science however if anyone can demonstrate to me how confirmation bias does not also exist in finding other explanations for the seemingly inexplicable, spiritual or otherworldly I'll be very impessed because as much as belief matters to some people disbelief appears to matter a lot more to others.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kanamori View Post
    That depends on which version of God you're talking about.

I'm inclined to agree in which case everything is guided by God.
    Spinoza is just pantheism.