• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Role of Religion

Eye 'n' Teepee

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Moreover, the analysis of belief and truth applies to facts as well. It is a fact that there is a chair below me and that it will support my weight. But, I must place belief or faith in that fact before I sit down and the fact is proven.

You could infer that the chair would support your weight by the design of the chair and your previous experience with other chairs. Of course, you could still be wrong this time, and the chair might be designed very poorly (or you're really fat).

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The existence of a chair that you can see and touch is not an extraordinary claim to make. On the other hand, the existence of an "invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day" (as George Carlin so greatly put it) is a claim with much greater implications to our perception of reality. If beliefs like this weren't so heavily ingrained in our culture and indoctrinated into our children, a person making such a claim would probably be thrown into the looney bin. I mean, even Christians laugh at Scientology, for example, without realizing the great irony in their doing so.