First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Question for you: do you attend church? If so, how is participating in the church community different than following the teachings/ideals in the Judeo-Christian tradition? Do you need church to borrow the wisdom from those who have gone before?

(p.s. I don't know much about the Wiccan tradition either, but I do like ceremony and celebrations of nature and time. I hold observances on the solstices and equinoxes and find it very meaningful, especially a lot of the symbolism of traditions and stories associated with those holidays...)
    I have in the past attended church and I haven't given up on the idea. Meeting together with others of my faith to encourage one another, etc is a part of religious practice that I believe in -- the Apostle Paul instructs believers in Christ to do this.

I think it can be an integral part to following Christianity, especially because churches often provide an outlet for helping the poor and doing other good works. As an introvert, a student of the Bible, an advocate of social justice, and someone with an Evangelical background, I haven't found a community of believers I really feel comfortable with.

I don't believe church attendance is necessary in order to borrow wisdom from those who have gone before, but I do believe it is part of following that wisdom, if that makes sense.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I have in the past attended church and I haven't given up on the idea. Meeting together with others of my faith to encourage one another, etc is a part of religious practice that I believe in -- the Apostle Paul instructs believers in Christ to do this.

I think it can be an integral part to following Christianity, especially because churches often provide an outlet for helping the poor and doing other good works. As an introvert, a student of the Bible, an advocate of social justice, and someone with an Evangelical background, I haven't found a community of believers I really feel comfortable with.

I don't believe church attendance is necessary in order to borrow wisdom from those who have gone before, but I do believe it is part of following that wisdom, if that makes sense.
    ...because it provides opportunities to "implement" (for lack of a better word) that wisdom, and to get better at doing so?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

...because it provides opportunities to "implement" (for lack of a better word) that wisdom, and to get better at doing so?
    More or less, yeah. And in our kind of disconnected western culture it can be a good thing to have a kind of pre-built community/support system. I just wish I actually enjoyed the experience more. I seem to like being disconnected.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Another question (for religious people): how is organized religion related to holiness, in your experience?

MBTI
    INTJ

Another question (for religious people): how is organized religion related to holiness, in your experience?
    There's no direct correlation. Holiness is associated with cleanliness and undefilement. People in themselves aren't holy. It's a state that a person strives to attain, in a relative sense, by the way they lives their lives. That includes the way that a person worships. The Bible says at John 4:24:

God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth
    So clean worship should be based on truth.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

So how does the faith community/religion help you with your weariness? (sincere question)
    Well, it provides me time for something else....like eating or bathing. It's somewhat like an anesthesia. Perhaps I could be fooling myself--but even that I know. So reaching a "conclusion"(well not really) helps me get over this mauling of why there is existence and what it is.

Though, perhaps it's not the only method. I am open to listen...

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    There's no direct correlation. Holiness is associated with cleanliness and undefilement. People in themselves aren't holy. It's a state that a person strives to attain, in a relative sense, by the way they lives their lives. That includes the way that a person worships. The Bible says at John 4:24:

So clean worship should be based on truth.
    So you would say that holiness pertains to personal spirituality only?

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Well, it provides me time for something else....like eating or bathing. It's somewhat like an anesthesia. Perhaps I could be fooling myself--but even that I know. So reaching a "conclusion"(well not really) helps me get over this mauling of why there is existence and what it is.

Though, perhaps it's not the only method. I am open to listen...
    It helps you to feel more grounded? It gives you a sense of connection?

MBTI
    INTJ

So you would say that holiness pertains to personal spirituality only?

It's definitely not just personal. It can be applied to a person, a group of people, a place, an object- anything. But in order for any of these to be holy, a level of cleanness has to be maintained.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

It helps you to feel more grounded? It gives you a sense of connection?
    ...to this reality. yes.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    It's definitely not just personal. It can be applied to a person, a group of people, a place, an object- anything. But in order for any of these to be holy, a level of cleanness has to be maintained.
    And cleanliness is next to Godliness.