User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    God made humanity the caretakers of the earth and the Bible says that a righteous man looks after the needs of his animals. Also, if I understand the laws correctly, Kosher slaughter is meant to butcher an animal in a sanitary, blood removing way, but it is also meant to reduce the suffering (blade has to be free of nicks, etc) the animal endures when being slaughtered.
    Not to mention the passage about not muzzling the ox so that it would be free to graze as it worked.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Not to mention the passage about not muzzling the ox so that it would be free to graze as it worked.
    For real. And not cutting the corners of your field or going over them twice so that poor people and wild animals can have something to eat, as well.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm sorry, but where do I say rights have to be bought?

I'm inclined to believe that human rights are rather few in number because any right necessarily requires a duty on society.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I don't see any causal relationship there, merely a correlation.

I don't subscribe to a social contract view of rights. I believe rights are based in divine law. I think rights can be derived from the 10 commandments.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    So to me, animal cruelty is a sin, perhaps a lesser sin than cruelty to humans, but a sin, nonetheless. On a practical level, I like meat and I feel better when I eat meat, but my family does not have the means to purchase cruelty free meat, so I participate in the sin that is the US factory farm meat industry.
    Why not cut back on meat consumption then? Buy organic meat, but less of it. Same with free-range eggs.

For those of you Christian: Christianity and Vegetarianism - Christian Vegetarian Association

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Edasich View Post
    Why not cut back on meat consumption then? Buy organic meat, but less of it. Same with free-range eggs.

For those of you Christian: Christianity and Vegetarianism - Christian Vegetarian Association
    I probably use about 3/4 lbs ground beef or 3 chicken thighs for a typical supper for five people aged 15 and up, which I don't think is excessive.

That doesn't include the bacon or peperoni sandwiches my sons make for themselves because they have autism-related sensory issues with food.

We buy the majority of our groceries from Sam's because it's the most economical thing we've found. Food prices just keep going up and it's already fairly tight sometimes. Frankly, I'm doing about the best I can.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers