• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Book

Mole

Permabanned
The History of Childhood

What books have influenced your world view the most and how?

"The History of Childhood", by Lloyd deMause because is provides the psychological underpinnings for liberal democracy.

It explains the telos of the West.

And it predicts our next step.

For instance, it predicts that our sleeper at the moment is child sexual abuse in Pakistani madrasa.

At the moment our attention is taken up by child sexual abuse in Catholicism, but Catholicism is not our major threat, rather totalitarian Islam has declared war on liberal democracy, and so far we can't even find words to describe totalitarian Islam.

But, "The History of Childhood", puts totalitarian Islam in context and gives us words with which to fight back.

Also it shows us the way forward from sacrificial child rearing, from abusive child rearing and from authoritarian child rearing to the helping mode of child rearing where we help our children achieve their goals.

Lark

This is a good one. I always think about it when I see the original Time Machine film, the guy when he goes back to the future takes only three or four books to an age which has no books anymore. I can never decide, I've read so, so many books.