User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default How literally should the Bible be interpreted?

Why is it that a lot of Christians believe that the Bible is infallible, especially when it has been translated so much? Why is it that they are so sure, that even after it has been translated, and possibly lost much of its original meaning, that each verse truly invokes God's intentions? How can they be willing to literally interpret something that has changed human hands so many times and that they have to say, "well maybe back in those times" in order to justify it for modern thought.

Ultimately, who are are they trusting more when they put their absolute faith in the Bible, God or the translators?

MBTI
    INFP

None of the oldest (and most reputable) manuscripts agree in every detail.

Literalists believe the bible is the inerrant divinely inspired word of god preserved through copy and translation by him. In their minds to say by putting their faith in the bible they are not putting their faith in god is absurd as the bible is the literal word of god, says so right in the bible.

But then god, bible, imaginary, etc. You know the routine.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

being a horrible, horrible person, I just look at the Bible the same way that I'd look at the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Popul Vuh or any other old religious or cultural text that we view as literature today! For goodness sake- even if there was some truth in it origionally, it's been translated and retranslated so many times that there's 2 different creation stories in Genesis!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If God is paying me by the week to follow his rules, then I'll follow the rules.

But since he is not paying me by the week (or the month, or the year), I will let myself slide...or say "Fuck it!"

(And for what it's worth, the Old Testament is the stuff that causes homophobic televangelists...in the New Testament, God's actually relatively cool.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Why would a God who created the universe be unable to preserve a book?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Why would a God who created the universe be unable to preserve a book?
    You should ask him since he obviously isn't doing a good job. There are many, many different versions of the Bible, some with completely contradictory meanings.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    You should ask him since he obviously isn't doing a good job. There are many, many different versions of the Bible, some with completely contradictory meanings.
    Oh. I thought you were asking an honest question. My mistake. Carry on.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I LOLed.

(But genocide can be fun!)