User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Very true. But at the same time when compared it's amazing how much agreement there really is. The inconsistencies are actually much smaller than what skeptics would have a person believe. Additionally it's very easy to find a bible that documents the various inconsistancies in the texts. Once you see what they are, you can tell that there are a few passages worth noting and the rest are nit picking differences which usually alter the meaning of the text little or not at all.

I wouldn't say the Bible is infallible, but I will say that it's pretty close. To me it's amazing how little the text has changed.
    They can't even agree whether homosexuality is a moral sin or a sin of uncleanliness. Not to mention...

King James Version: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination".
    New International Version "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Those sound a bit different to me. The word in Arameic for "abomination" is the same as for "unproductive" or "unclean", which would indicate homosexuality is a sin of uncleanliness. The same kind of sin as cross breeding livestock or eating shell fish. That is not how it was interpreted to me when I was a kid. To say I'm a little pissed would be an understatement.

What motivated the translator to choose the word "abomination" or "detestable" over "unproductive" or "unclean". And then I found out that most Arameic translators in the world are people who were taught through the church, and often even taught by using the Bible as a reference. It's easy to keep it the same when it's the text you learn from.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Very true. But at the same time when compared it's amazing how much agreement there really is. The inconsistencies are actually much smaller than what skeptics would have a person believe. Additionally it's very easy to find a bible that documents the various inconsistancies in the texts. Once you see what they are, you can tell that there are a few passages worth noting and the rest are nit picking differences which usually alter the meaning of the text little or not at all.

I wouldn't say the Bible is infallible, but I will say that it's pretty close. To me it's amazing how little the text has changed.
    +1.

I have the Quest Study Bible; its insides are the text in NIV, and the equivalent page space on the boarders is filled with context of the verses, a collection of interpretations, and just lays it out there and lets you interpret it with the info they provide. There are intros to every book, who wrote it, what timeline and what was going on politically and socially when it was written, etc.
    Now, clearly it is not as good as learning the original text, but I'll take 2nd best for the easy way out
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Very true. But at the same time when compared it's amazing how much agreement there really is. The inconsistencies are actually much smaller than what skeptics would have a person believe. Additionally it's very easy to find a bible that documents the various inconsistancies in the texts. Once you see what they are, you can tell that there are a few passages worth noting and the rest are nit picking differences which usually alter the meaning of the text little or not at all. I wouldn't say the Bible is infallible, but I will say that it's pretty close. To me it's amazing how little the text has changed.
    I would be careful equating infallible = correctly transmitted.

I think transmission accuracy and content accuracy are two different things. One is concerned with whether the latest documents accurately reflect the original. The other is concerned with whether the original document accurately reflected history.

But I do agree with you, and the Bible variations often include "alternate" translations of phrase/words/passages that translators have historically been unsure of how to deal with. The transmission seems to be very good. My concerns all involve the "historicity" element.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    On another note, I think translators of Aramaic are homophobes, sexists, and bigots.
    Oh gee, I wish you'd actually just come out and say what you mean, instead of always beating around the bush.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh gee, I wish you'd actually just come out and say what you mean, instead of always beating around the bush.

Well you have to ask yourself, what kind of person would want to learn Aramaic in the modern day? 100 years ago? 500 years ago? I would have to say somebody who already has a religious conviction and is "morally" grounded in the beliefs presented in the current Bible.

I really don’t know what you see in the bible that’s so great.

I've read most of the NT, chunks of the OT and sat in church every sunday until I was about 15 or 16. The bible is dull, dull, dull. It starts off with a bunch of myths, some sick evil shit, misc tribal nonsense, and a lot of bad poetry. In the gospels we get to hear jeebus prattle on about some rubbish and dance around the question when people ask him if he's god. After the gospels there are Paul’s letters which are responsible for most of the homophobia, misogyny, sexual repression, and general fuckedupedness in Christian theology.

The purpose of it all being for god to sacrifice himself to himself so he could appease his anger at a creation he knew would fail to live up to his impossible standards which was the plan from the beginning so he could pan the whole thing off as a grand gesture of love to his toy people whom he created because he was lonely.

Seriously guys, that’s pretty messed up.

MBTI
    OMNi

Ohhhhhhhh! You are going to hell now.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I really don't know what you see in the bible that’s so great...
    I'm wondering how much of the Bible is a litmus test for what we already perceive about life.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ohhhhhhhh! You are going to hell now.
    I sold my soul to Old Scratch years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm wondering how much of the Bible is a litmus test for what we already perceive about life.
    Like what? Use the bible as some kind of moral standard?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Well you have to ask yourself, what kind of person would want to learn Aramaic in the modern day? 100 years ago? 500 years ago? I would have to say somebody who already has a religious conviction and is "morally" grounded in the beliefs presented in the current Bible.
    my university prof who taught religions of the world was crazy into all types of religion and really passionate about them all. (super I, N, F, P to him, so he was not a normal person
    he is agnostic.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    my university prof who taught religions of the world was crazy into all types of religion and really passionate about them all. (super I, N, F, P to him, so he was not a normal person
    he is agnostic.
    But did he know Aramaic? Was he passionate enough to learn a language that probably fewer than a few thousand people in the whole world know?