User Tag List

First 12

The Individual and the Group

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    What is the nature of the ‘group mind’, i.e. the mental changes such individuals undergo as a result of becoming part of a group?
    Well, Typology Central is a group mind so we can answer the question by looking around.

And we see that everyone and their dog here is an individual. So the first act of our group mind is denial.

This is highly significant for it is our denial that confirms the group mind.

I must say I rather like the group mind and I would like to play with it, but first it must be acknowledged.

And as we perceive by making distinctions - first we must make the distinction between the individual and the group.

This starts to become interesting because we can start to see the permutations and combinations of the individual and the group.

And interestingly it has been Eastern cultures that have favoured the group and Western cultures that have favoured the individual.

But just now the East is coming West, just as we are going East.

So Typology Central is carrying us East with every post.

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    I have been posting on Internet discussion forums for more than four years. Most responders are, I conclude, between the ages of 13 to 25. These responses lead me to conclude that our educational system has failed us. Our educational system has taught young people what to think and not how to think. If young people are not able to remove them self from this very negative influence then the future looks very dim.
    Nice observation

But two questions.

Is it the job of the educational system to teach us how to think? Or to just give us an opportunity for learning skills if we so choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Nice observation

But two questions.

Is it the job of the educational system to teach us how to think? Or to just give us an opportunity for learning skills if we so choose?
    I think that our educational system needs to prepare us for getting a good job and also to prepare us for becoming a self-actualizing self-learner, i.e. teach us how to become a Critical Thinker.