• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Faith Allow Us to Love?

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
yes, i think it does... faith in love allows us to love... ?

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not so sure.

Faith requires belief and that requires a higher brain. But animals love too. So I think biology allows us to love.

It really depends on one's understanding of love. A teen's version of love vs a mature person's version of love will be different. Then applying faith to it could lead to delusions and troubles or the wise path.

Helen Fisher tells us why we love + cheat | Video on TED.com

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I think biology starts love, and faith in love allows it to endure.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i once read this book where they described love like this... first comes physical love, then comes emotional love and then comes universal love.

the statement was interesting to me.

i definitely agree that beliefs can lead to trouble, but that's all we have, right? all we can do is try to have good beliefs and try to balance with our beliefs and other people's beliefs, so that we don't end up being deceived, or deceiving...

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
i once read this book where they described love like this... first comes physical love, then comes emotional love and then comes universal love.

I like that. :)

i definitely agree that beliefs can lead to trouble, but that's all we have, right? all we can do is try to have good beliefs and try to balance with our beliefs and other people's beliefs, so that we don't end up being deceived, or deceiving...

I need to have new ideas too. I think that beliefs are great and necessary, but there needs to be evolution of self as well, which to me, involves new ideas. The new ideas may or may not become new beliefs.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
I need to have new ideas too. I think that beliefs are great and necessary, but there needs to be evolution of self as well, which to me, involves new ideas. The new ideas may or may not become new beliefs.

absolutely. evolution (and flexibility) is important.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Your beliefs mean nothing. And something as important as love shouldn't be based on faith but on fact.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Your beliefs mean nothing. And something as important as love shouldn't be based on faith but on fact.

Interesting..
In my last relationship the fact is.. we loved each other.
Due to several circumstances, we lacked faith.

We are no longer together.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Interesting..
In my last relationship the fact is.. we loved each other.
Due to several circumstances, we lacked faith.

We are no longer together.

It wasn't sustainable. Pragmatic reasons matter.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Does faith allow us to love?

Faith in what? In our feelings? In what we think our hearts want?

Well, yes... but that faith isn't always necessary. In many cases, the pull is strong enough to overcome any conscious choice we've made in the matter.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I disagree. What could possibly stand between true love?

Ask yourself if love is the same as happiness. Love is merely a feeling. It doesn't go away when your partner is in a hospital bad about to die does it? You still love him/her, but you can still be sad in life despite your love.

That's an extreme example but that illustrates my point. People have needs in life. If true love stands in the way of those needs, sure you can be in love for all eternity...but it doesn't mean you'll be happy. Romantic relationships are but ONE of life's aspects. If you are unhappy with the rest, not even true love will save you.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good thread.
More explanation underlying the reasoning expressed here would help, though.

EDIT: Thanks Sytpg.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Love isn't enough for a relationship to work. You need to be compatible.

By the way, what is your notion of true love, and how does it differ from love?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Ask yourself if love is the same as happiness. Love is merely a feeling. It doesn't go away when your partner is in a hospital bad about to die does it? You still love him/her, but you can still be sad in life despite your love.

That's an extreme example but that illustrates my point. People have needs in life. If true love stands in the way of those needs, sure you can be in love for all eternity...but it doesn't mean you'll be happy. Romantic relationships are but ONE of life's aspects. If you are unhappy with the rest, not even true love will save you.

I agree with this.

Many people base their happiness on love, or a relationship. I was just talking about this yesterday with some people. While love can certainly help one to be happy, it doesn't fix everything.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Reality..

Love does not conquer all. Love feeds the soul and spirit.. but love does not pay the bills, cure illness or put food on the table.

I loved my ex with all my heart.. But reality and the need to survive took precedence no matter how much it hurt.