User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Being vs. Doing

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am currently 'being' yet i want to be 'doing' .. I only have myself to blame.

I am a great believer in no regrets but my actions are not aligned to this thinking at present.

I was talking to someone the other day and i said that should my life come to an end very soon, i would be very disappointed with the things i had not done. Even though i can rationalise it and tell myself i have done so much and that i don't have a clue when my time will be up, still i don't make the move to get things happening.

Something is not quite right.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    iNfj

Quote Originally Posted by decided View Post
    I guess it's about finding that balance; not letting the pendulum swing too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Exactly. At the risk of sounding pat, it's important to strike a balance.
    The question is how do you find a balance? For the sake of discussion, I'll argue that it is an illusion to tell yourself a balance is possible. Maybe you have to choose between a life of doing and a life of being?

- I need an example of someone in balance (their thinking) because I can only think of the extremes as outlined already.
    - vacations can be fashioned, and i think generally are, as forced 'doing'
    - hobbies can become forced elements of 'doing' in your life. In fact, thats how i think people generally consider them. Evidenced by the expectation you feel when someone says "so what do you do besides work?"

I dont know if this is definitely a Western cultural problem...it may be acute there, but I think its also a general problem of human existence.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

There needs to be a healthy amount of both being and doing.
    You're the only person who can define how much you should be doing or being. Rather, the only person whose opinion on that really matters. That's hard for people to come to terms with in the world with the way it is.

Everyone is beaten into this misconception that, if they aren't doing, they are lazy and wasting life. Other people are beaten into the misconception that, if they aren't being, they'll completely lose who they are and what the really want.
    It's interesting and no one i've known has perfected it yet. When you balance it to your own standards, it should fit like a puzzle piece and you'll breathe a sigh of relief.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by eternal recurrence View Post
    The question is how do you find a balance? For the sake of discussion, I'll argue that it is an illusion to tell yourself a balance is possible. Maybe you have to choose between a life of doing and a life of being?

- I need an example of someone in balance (their thinking) because I can only think of the extremes as outlined already.
    - vacations can be fashioned, and i think generally are, as forced 'doing'
    - hobbies can become forced elements of 'doing' in your life. In fact, thats how i think people generally consider them. Evidenced by the expectation you feel when someone says "so what do you do besides work?"

I dont know if this is definitely a Western cultural problem...it may be acute there, but I think its also a general problem of human existence.
    Something similar is the (Buddhist - ?) concept of mindfulness. Unless you are mindful as you are doing, it almost doesn't matter what the balance is. Keeping your mind/awareness present as you go through the day, week, year... as you commute or work or study or play pickup ball or play with your children or have a conversation or sit on the front step and watch the people walk by... being mindful as you do allows you to be even in the midst of action.

So I don't necessarily see it as an either/or, but more as a both... how can we let ourselves be in the midst of all of this doing? As we attempt to live more mindfully, the balance will sort of unfold. This has more or less been the case with my life, though. And it is certainly a process of trial and error.

Also, for good time's sake:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i8-t5biK10"]You Rock, Rock (from I Heart Huckabees)[/YOUTUBE]