User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Forgiveness?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Forgiveness?

How good are you at forgiving those who have wronged you? Do you feel that the ability to forgive is a valuable and necessary trait? Have you ever desired forgiveness and was denied it? If so, how did that make you feel?

How good are you at forgiving those who have wronged you?
    So far in my life I have made peace with the people who have wronged me.

Do you feel that the ability to forgive is a valuable and necessary trait?
    I feel that the ability is valuable to me. It is necessary to me. I think life is easier when you can forgive. I don't really tend to live in the past much.

Have you ever desired forgiveness and was denied it? If so, how did that make you feel?
    Unfortunately yes. It continues to make me feel unhappy and uneasy. I hate knowing the people I care about are upset because of me. It is one of the worst feelings that I encounter.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    So far in my life I have made peace with the people who have wronged me.

I feel that the ability is valuable to me. It is necessary to me. I think life is easier when you can forgive. I don't really tend to live in the past much.

Unfortunately yes. It continues to make me feel unhappy and uneasy. I hate knowing the people I care about are upset because of me. It is one of the worst feelings that I encounter.

Thanks for sharing that, Lux. It was pointed out to me that when one is very forgiving it opens the door to others taking advantage of them and disrespecting them. Do you think that's something worth worrying about?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Forgiving others is easy. Forgiving yourself...not so much.

Yes. Letting go and moving on is very important.

Have you ever desired forgiveness and was denied it? If so, how did that make you feel?
    Yes, I sometimes deny myself forgiveness. It hurts.

I try to forgive, but I only have the simple rule that people try to work it out first and apologize. I mean, with major things at least. I'd like to think I let little things slide, whether or not they apologize.

I agree, it hurts like hell to not be forgiven if you, in fact, still care about that person and try.

Thanks for sharing that, Lux. It was pointed out to me that when one is very forgiving it opens the door to others taking advantage of them and disrespecting them. Do you think that's something worth worrying about?
    I think it certainly can be. It is yet another good argument for using both the head and heart.

It maybe difficult to see or to honestly feel as if you are being disrespected at times, because if a person is naturally forgiving they tend to make excuses for others poor behavior. Or that is just me... Although, everyone has their limit.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

"May they dwell in their heart; may they be free from suffering; may they be healed; may they be at peace."

"May I dwell in my heart; may I be free from suffering; may I be healed; may I be at peace."

Acceptance of the human condition is a beautiful thing. Above is an expample of a Loving-Kindness Meditation.

It's not necessary for someone else to forgive me. Yes it's nice when that happens, but at the end of the day. It's all about intent. When it's not given, one can most surely give it...as a gift to themself. By accepting where one, or the other party is at.

Some situations in life require boundaries, and one can actually hurt another's progress by failing to set them. Especially in situations of physical and/or emotional abuse. But it doesn't mean that we should deny someone we've cared for the opportunity of loving kindness. Even if it's only in our thoughts and/or prayers.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Very good at it.

Yes, if you ever want to ruly reach closure, drop your baggage, and move on.

Nope. Luckily, the wrongs I have committed have been reconcilable. Few things aren't if a sincere apology is made, a genuine to reach reconciliation undertaken, and if the wrongdoing is not committed again in the future.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

i've been cut off for some of the smallest things, halla. not everyone seems to easily forgive. hell, i've been cut off for things i didn't even do! for hearsay. and without any consultation with me.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I usually tend to forgive quickly, and let things go. Holding a grudge seems like a waste of time and energy.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com