12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Default Walking your banana

Shame-attacking exercise that is used in REBT and CBT in order to reduce social anxiety and help to decrease level of shyness. A banana is attached to a string and "walked" around a public place. This makes the client feel more comfortable in very uncomfortable situations. (It's also HILARIOUS to video tape and to watch people's reactions to what you are doing) hahahah

[YOUTUBE="oFdkjj8oR6Q"]Exercise in shame[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

oh, that was torcherous!

I kept wanting to get up! Run over to the mall!

And find someone pulling a banana, so I could chase it down and stomp/squish it!

Not exactly related, but this reminds of a story Johnny Depp had about some movie he did when he was younger... He said he did certain scenes holding a banana... he thought he was getting overly serious and wanted to relax. or maybe everyone else was overly serious. i forgot now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

this is absurd. But that probably means it works.

Ginkgo

Awesome! I think wearing this would be more effective though:

Then again, when you're walking a banana, you're less likely to be pulverized or shoved down escalators.

Also, this:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iq9gdeIE4"]Invisible Dogs[/YOUTUBE]

That's interesting. I feel comfortable by blending in and becoming more of a friendly ghost among the masses. I imagine the banana would induce anxiety. Especially if I had to explain the reasoning of why I am walking with a banana to everyone and having them think it actually relaxes me when it wouldn't. Would that work for you durentu?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    That's interesting. I feel comfortable by blending in and becoming more of a friendly ghost among the masses. I imagine the banana would induce anxiety. Especially if I had to explain the reasoning of why I am walking with a banana to everyone and having them think it actually relaxes me when it wouldn't. Would that work for you durentu?
    It's counter-intuitive.

Like, for instance, if you had a low esteem about your singing ability, you would slowly reduce that seed of fear of public singing by... well, public singing. If you were to step it up a notch and sing publicly with a sombrero on your head, you would thicken that "mental callous" and become even more fearless.

Like, some people are petrified of riding roller-coasters. However, if they were to work up the gumption to ride the biggest, fastest one in the world; then they would be fearless against all others.

Senior Member ObliviousExistence's Avatar
    MBTI
    loco
    Enneagram
    5W4

putting them in an extremely uncomfortable social situations so they feel more comfortable in normal situations. The only problem with this is that the effects are not permanent.
    "He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this death weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being." JP Sartre

MBTI
    INFP

Ahh.. the carabiner-sporting hipsters reminded me of this
    You know how dudes are always complaining that they “sat on their keys?” This is never an issue for your average hipster male. Why? Well, because his keys are more often than not clipped to the loop of his skinny jeans with what is known as a carabiner — a tool favored by intrepid mountain climbers to ensure that they don’t careen into the abyss looming below them as they scale a particularly treacherous mountainside. Hipsters sport carabiners for a similar reason — so that they don’t careen into the abyss known as the bourgeoisie mundane. You see, carabiners are often proudly worn by members of the working class: janitors, laborers, docksmen and bartenders — the men who toil away, unseen by the brittle, deadened upper class. They are Nelson Algren’s “pavement-colored people” — men who are simultaneously crippled by society and infinitely powerful, holding the keys (quite literally) to myriad doors. Hipsters carry their keys thusly in an attempt to join the ranks of the “real” epitomized by these work-a-day folk. That and their jeans are so tight that they can’t fit their keys in their pockets, anyway.
    Stuff Hipsters Hate

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ObliviousExistence View Post
    putting them in an extremely uncomfortable social situations so they feel more comfortable in normal situations. The only problem with this is that the effects are not permanent.
    It takes time to get out of that pattern of social anxiety. Taking things one step at a time. Today you start with something small, in a while you will walk bananas, and only when you feel more comfortable, you do something different, always raising the stakes, so to say, and slowly getting more comfortable with the idea. And finally, you are able to get to such a place where the anxiety you experienced before doesn't bother you that much. It might not get rid of it completely but there is a possibility that it will get better. That's the point of it all.