User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    Yes. People say when they are on psychedelics that they feel like "another presence" is with them. Psychologists have found it to be this unconscious part of our brain. Also located on the right side. Really interesting..
    I've taken my share of psychedelics.. I know what they're referring to.

What's ironic is that after I sobered up, I went soul searching.. I visited churches. And then one day, I visited a charismatic church (if any particular group has a thing for "experiencing the ecstacy" God can bring, it's them). I don't recall all of the things they did exactly... but the service became almost intoxicating.. One minute there was preaching, the next minute, the lights dimmed and the whole congregation started singing in trance.. and then complete gibberish... and for a brief moment.. I felt it.. I was with them..

And then I snapped out of it. It was the same eerie presence I had a few times using LSD or psilosybin. The very thing I was trying to escape I found in a church! What was I to make of that? It was the last thing I would associate with God. I went soul searching in order to get a better mental footing, only to find the same insanity I was running from.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i really can't grasp this. so if we had these "god parts" inside us, could "they" communicate? like a god part to a god part? lol... would they be connected somehow and would they be similar in each person?
    I think he's referring to the "directive" God part. In my experience within Christian faith, it will often seem like something is speaking to you or giving you nudges or inclinations -- it's a vague and rather inexplicable feeling, but it involves a sense of "rightness" and "peace" or "inner alignment." Basically, instead of being dominated and terrified of external supernatural forces, the divine has been relocated inside in a sense.

I don't think it means anything about "god parts" talking to each other, although perhaps within that faith there's talk of the Spirit moving and is sort of like the "god" part talking to itself between believers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I was reading in "Psychological Types,", Jung's analysis of "The Relativity of the God-concept in Meister Eckhart", and thought some of the following was interesting. What do you think about some of this?

"the God-image is the symbolic expression of a particular psychic state, or function, which is characterized by its absolute ascendency over the will of the subject and can therefore bring about or enforce actions and achievements that could never be done by conscious effort. This overpowering impetus to action or this inspiration that transcends conscious understanding, has its source in an accumulation of energy in the unconscious"

"God is not even relative, but a function of the unconscious - the manifestation of a dissociated quantum of libido that has activated the God-image"

"The aim of the great religions is expressed in the injunction "not of this world," and this implies the inward movement of libido into the unconsciousness"

"the soul is a personification of the unconsciousness, where lies the treasure, the libido which is immersed in introversion and is allegorized as God's kingdom. This amounts to a permanent union with God, a living in his kingdom, in that the state where a preponderance of libido lies in the unconscious and determines conscious life. The libido concentrated in the conscious was formerly invested in objects, and this made the world seem all-powerful. God was then "outside," but now he works from within, as the hidden treasure conceived as God's kingdom."
    Interesting, I wonder how this relates to the different approaches to the concept of God or Gods in different cultures and environment.
    I am pretty sure that the fact that the great monotheist traditions were born in the first cities and agricultural lands in the world is linked to this.

While hunter gatherer populations are generally animist.

I'll just leave those questions here (as I need to leave for school), but they could be interesting axes to direct a bit of the conversation on.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i have those feelings, too, that there is something, whatever it is... i used to describe it as "the quiet guide"... it's like there are subtle things happening, in which you can find meaning, but i don't conciously really think about it much. i think it just contributes to my feeling of the value of life and connectedness.

i thought that was just.. conscience.

although i've heard some people refer to the quiet voice they're hearing as "God". that's a bit much if you ask me.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i just have this feeling that there's more to life... i feel it very deeply.

well i'm not really questioning what you said. it just reminded me of some people i know who specifically have referred to... what amounts to their conscience... as god. and the things he's supposedly saying to them seem incredibly mundane. i just wonder why they don't just call it conscience then. did they somehow block out the entire concept of conscience and skip to calling it "god"? and if they did have a direct connection to god, i'd think he'd have more to offer than mundane advice.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    "the God-image is the symbolic expression of a particular psychic state, or function, which is characterized by its absolute ascendency over the will of the subject and can therefore bring about or enforce actions and achievements that could never be done by conscious effort. This overpowering impetus to action or this inspiration that transcends conscious understanding, has its source in an accumulation of energy in the unconscious"
    I've figured this was the case for a long time.

I'm not religious and have no real belief in any kind of supreme being, but I will pretend (make myself believe) that certain mythology (christian, norse, etc.) is true, temporarily, specifically to get the mental boost I need to overcome something particularly daunting and put myself in a mental state that is otherwise much more difficult to attain.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i wouldn't go as far as claiming that god is speaking to me... i've had bad experiences with charismatic christianity. i don't take it as seriously anymore. it's just something that i let be. it's not like i really analyze what god, or whatever it might be is possibly telling me... i just believe that there is something, but that i'm in control with what to do and what i think. the feeling that there is that something is very peaceful to me, though.

it's personal and i found it through studying philosophy, psychology and different religions... and just by loving people and life.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

maybe that was the wrong expression, though. i do take that feeling seriously. it is in my whole being and is the most important thing to me (love). i meant to say that i am not religious, even though i am spiritual... and i don't go along with stuff... i always think if it fits me. does this make sense?