User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

"Courage is having more balls, than brains." - sLiPpY

Here's what I have realized: there's no such thing as feeling brave. If you felt brave, you wouldn't be scared and you wouldn't need courage in the first place. It's when you're doing something difficult, terrifying, that you are actually being brave.

You can't feel brave, but you can be brave, in the moment where you are completely alone inside of yourself and realize what you're made of.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

ThatGirl

I know this one!

Irrational motivation and passion for perseverance.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I always kind of liked the definition from To Kill a Mockingbird

I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. ~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 11, spoken by the character Atticus
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

Facing your fears when you have a choice not to.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I always kind of liked the definition from To Kill a Mockingbird

I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. ~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 11, spoken by the character Atticus
    meh...sounds more honorable suicide ^^^

I've heard people try and differentiate it as:

Bravado: a swaggering show of courage
    Courage: a quality of spirit that enables you to face danger or pain without showing fear
    Bravery - audacious: invulnerable to fear or intimidation; "audacious explorers"; "fearless reporters and photographers"; "intrepid pioneers"

Bravery: face danger because you are above being scared...but you arent being necissarily stupid about it
    Bravado: face danger because you are above being scared...but you are being kind of stupid/overconfident
    Courage: You're scared, but you do it anyways, knowing everything will work itself out before all is said n done.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Did you know that according to Dawkin's selfish gene effectively bravery, courage and no number of other social or cultural constructs are effectively impossible or in one way or another in the service of biologically determined drives to ensure your individual genes survive into the next generation?

How reductivist is that shit? The argument? Well, by analogy with birds sacrificing themselves to defend their young, yeah, I know, analogy, with a lower order of life too, WTF?

And the conceptualisation of courage could well be a "virus", a meme, which has infected minds long enough to be reproduced like such commonplace "mental illnesses" as religion, ideology and, I dont know, disagreeing with Dawkins. Bloudy hell, no matter how tempting it would be to label everything I didnt agree with simply "mad" I'd never be so arrogant as to do so. The whole thing smacks of the soviet "psychiatry".

OK, I was ranting. I know.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Courage is the ability to ignore all warning signs, all physical restraints, and all mental blocks which prevent yeu from doing something stupid, and then going and doing it anyway, no matter how bad an idea it is, simply because yeu have some 'ideal' that must be realized, at any cost.

For example: Going to war. Running into a burning building to save someone. Being a martyr. These take courage. Yeu have to manually retract everything yeur mind and body are telling yeu that it's a REALLY BAD IDEA, just so yeu can uphold something yeu believe in.

MBTI
    INFJ

Courage is standing up for those who have none!!

MBTI
    ISTx

Perseverance through opposition, fear and discouragement.