User Tag List

First 234

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It's hard to hear everyone hating over the 2 national championships he helped us win while I was at UF.

I generally don't like Tim Tebow or the Gators. That being said I think this is a sad commentary on american society. Christianity is generally respected within the sports sector of our society. Yet it seems the respect for Christianity is weakening even there. 60 years ago (no I don't think the 50s were the golden age) none of those players would have blinked an eye at a request for prayer before such a significant event.

Public prayer has a unique ability to unite a group of people. At Florida I'm sure he led prayer amongst his teammates all the time and nobody thought anything of it. Most likely this was because the team was already unified.

This event was extremely adversarial in nature with each man fighting to prove his value. I think it would be a better world if such men would be able to to take a few minutes before such an event and recognize their unity with one another and to humble themselves before their maker.

I don't like the idea of religion being forced on people, although I'm sure my conception of that differs from others here, but I think I would be living in a better country if it were more religious and people did not reject the idea of public prayer.

While the above represent my ideals I should also mention that I'm the first to wince when someone asks for prayer outside of religious settings and I often ascribe disingenuous motives to those that make such requests. I don't think that is usually fair of me.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

If it ain't ACC, I don't watch it. After all, we did generate MJ, king of the universe.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Public prayer has a unique ability to unite a group of people. At Florida I'm sure he led prayer amongst his teammates all the time and nobody thought anything of it. Most likely this was because the team was already unified.
    But that's just it -- it *also* has a unique ability to ostracize and exclude people, which is why I don't think it's really appropriate in such circumstances. What if someone else insisted on making a public group devotion to Buddha before an event? That could be uncomfortable for some Christians, and Tebow's actions are no different. There's nothing wrong (and probably a bit right) with group prayer in situations where those who aren't interested wouldn't feel an obligation to participate or make concessions (ie, church, bible study groups, Christian-based counseling groups, etc.). I'm sure you're right that he did the same sort of thing at Florida -- but I'm also sure that there were other players on the team who it made very uncomfortable. But he was pretty much the undisputed leader of the team, and calling him on it was probably not a realistic option.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    While the above represent my ideals I should also mention that I'm the first to wince when someone asks for prayer outside of religious settings and I often ascribe disingenuous motives to those that make such requests. I don't think that is usually fair of me.
    -- like you, I would generally ascribe poor motives to those who do it too, but I'm not so sure about it not being fair. I could see why it's not *intentionally* unfair (the intention is probably most often quite good and innocently so), but it's still intrusive and exclusionary to those who don't share that set of beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    If it ain't ACC, I don't watch it. After all, we did generate MJ, king of the universe.
    Pac-10 / Big 12 ftw! Although the ACC does generate the best basketball game of the year, (almost ) every year (ie, when Duke loses in the NCAA tournament ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]