• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does anyone "deserve" to be hit?

Is it ever justified to smack somebody?

• Total voters
O

Oberon

The thread in the Relationships forum titled "Women Deserve to be Hit" contained a number of posts to the effect that nobody deserves to be hit, regardless of sex. I presumed, based on the location of the thread and the nature of the discussion within it, that the context was addressing two people in a romantic relationship with one another. The premise of the posts was that the prohibition on physical violence in relationships hinged on mutual respect, not gender, and therefore applied to both sexes.

This is reasoning that I endorse. My purpose in this thread is to examine the question outside of relationships. Is there ever justification for a stiff overhand right to the mouth?

Please discuss.

I may make this a poll.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are several situations. Thus, there are several types of different measures that should be properly taken. Smacking, lol, is not an exception.

For example, what if the world would explode if i were not to wack myself right now...surely, you can see the reasoning in that.

There are an infinite amount of hypothetical situations wherein "smacking" is almost universally justified.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I put no, because obviously there are some situations you could randomly make up where someone needs to be "hit." Usually "controlling" someone would work better. But overall the answer is "no."

I'm also not including war.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You're going to think this is librull word-splitting but I think the word "deserve" is the sticking point here. There are definitely times when a good clocking is necessary (self-defense is the only one I can think of at the moment) but it isn't exactly because the person "deserves" it. It's a practical matter, to get them off your back so you can get away.

So practically speaking, yes, it can be necessary. But ideologically speaking there's really never a reason for it IMO. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes WANT to club someone with a deer antler but I manage to hold myself back most of the time.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Of course slapping can be justified. Ultimately people will do what they will. Nothing will change if a consensus is reached here.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Someone says "please slap me if I ever [whatever]" and you know they mean it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes a good smack upside the head helps that person reset.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
its ok to hit someone if they say bad things to you
j/k

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My two cents:

To hit in anger is always inappropriate.

Violence is only appropriate in physical defense of self or others.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
its ok to hit someone if they say bad things to you
j/k

lolz, a j/k but still interesting view. thanks, I'm off to experiment if this is effective.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Since we evolved from animals, and as such are animals ourselves, violence doesn't need to be justified. Might is right.

The question is, as an animal with the ability to reason, is it the wisest choice? Very rarely.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You're going to think this is librull word-splitting but I think the word "deserve" is the sticking point here.

Little Bill Daggett: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
Will Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
[aims gun]

O

Oberon

Since we evolved from animals, and as such are animals ourselves, violence doesn't need to be justified. Might is right.

The question is, as an animal with the ability to reason, is it the wisest choice? Very rarely.

You're the first materialist I've ever come across who has been honest enough to own up to this perspective. Your conclusion is consistent with your premise... I salute you.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know about deserve, but I'm not a pacifist. I believe that sometimes, depending on the question, violence (sparingly and judiciously applied) is the answer.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
If it's not right to smack the shit out of someone that's inappropriately touched/handled your gf/wife, then I don't wanna be right.